Cheap and cheery, birthday party gift! Did I mention cheap?



Let me preface this post by saying 3 things:
1. I really do think this is a nice gift even though it happens to be easy on the budget, so if I know you outside of the blogosphere please do not get offended if your child gets this gift. It is made with great love.

2. If I know you outside of the blogosphere and there is any possibility that our children are going to be at the same party you may not use this idea. Dibs.

3. The idea of giving baking supplies as a birthday gift is not mine originally. I can't remember where I first saw it. I am thinking probably here or here. They both have lots of good ideas. So whoever you are, thanks for the idea!

I combined the baking supply concept with a way to recycle all the oatmeal canisters which I go through at such a dizzy rate being completely obsessed with oatmeal.

I thought it would be a really cute way to package the whole thing and make it truly personalized. Kids dig stuff with their name on it. They can't get enough of seeing their name on their stuff.

OK so here is what you need to make a super duper awesome personalized cupcake making kit:

  • Cake mix
  • Cupcake cups
  • Frosting
  • Sprinkles
  • Plain apron
  • Iron on letters
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Embellishments
  • Glue
OR
  • Whatever you like
(if it is not going to be specifically a cupcake kit and just a baking kit you could just put in an apron and a wooden spoon and some measuring spoons...the options really are limitless.)

I stocked up on these cake mixes and icing (with the sprinkles included!) when they were on sale for less then a dollar. The cupcake liners were about the same price. They are generic Kroger but they have princesses or something on them. I get the aprons for $2.99 at Hobby Lobby (and If you use your 50% off coupon it would be...well let's see..hmmm..ack Maths... 1/2 that?). I get the iron on letters there too. They are about between 1.99 and 2.99 a package. Again, you could use that 50% off coupon!

Decorate your canister however you see fit. Your kid can do this with your help. Mine loooooves this part.

You have to take the cake mix out of its box to fit into the oatmeal canister so be sure to cut off the instruction panel to put in there too.



It all fits very nicely. Frosting in the bottom, cake mix on top of that apron on top with the name showing.



The name shows through the lid so you could just leave it like that, but we had sparkly white paper so we could not resist making a cupcake lid.



Voila! Gracie made them cards with a cupcake theme too. She is so my matchy-matching daughter. Faith and Hope are dear little twins she is friends with. We weren't actually trying to be spiritual here.



So there you have it: inexpensive (so much nicer a word then cheap but cheap worked for the alliteration up there and I can never resist me some alliteration), fun to make with your kid, fun for the kid to make with their parent, recycles an oatmeal canister, involves cupcakes. Could it get any better? Well, yes probably. But it works for me!

I'm reading: Cheap and cheery, birthday party gift! Did I mention cheap?Tweet this!

15 comments:

Julie said...

very cute.

K Magill said...

What a fun, creative way to recycle an oatmeal canister! This post would be a perfect one to link up to "Twice the Fun Tuesday" at my site havingfunathomeblog.blogspot.com.

Twice the Fun is a weekly mr. linky about creative recycling that will start next Tuesday (Oct 14.) It would be great to see your post there!

Zion said...

I love the cheap part, although you certainly can't tell by the looks of them! Great idea.

April Kennedy said...

I get dibs on Napa!

Chel said...

Very nice. You know my son loves to cook! I could do it in blue!! There is a grocery store here called Central Market and they have cooking classes. He received that as a gift from his siter (my dtr) and loved it!! That would have been a great way to present the gift card!!
Chel

Anonymous said...

i love this tip. I was thinking of something like this... how fun! thanks for sharing!
~kristine

Momof3 said...

Love it! Now I'm glad my nephews birthday is rushing up. (I'd say creeping up but its usually here before I can turn around.)

MamaCta! said...

CUTE! I love this. This is the first time I have seen this! We go thru a lot of oatmeal in our house, too, so this is perfect!

Lainie said...

Genius! Thank you...

I often do "Cookies in a Jar" for grown-ups but now I can do "Cookies in a bag" for kiddos.

Love the apron idea!
Good job!

Anonymous said...

That is soooo cute! Thanks for the great idea.

Tanya said...

Great idea! (I have a 7 year old Grace too).

Jil said...

Great idea. Now I wish my girls were a little again. :)

Kristen said...

That is darling! My nieces will love this! Thanks!

Colette said...

This would be a great party favor for a cupcake themed birthday or a baking themed birthday! Thanks for posting!

katie@tulsadetails said...

Really cute idea. Love this!