Desperation Casserole




The theme for this week's WFMW is easy meals with 5 ingredients or less. So this is my answer to that.

I got the recipe for this casserole of the back of a green bean can when I was newly married. Fancy! It was romantically named, "Midnight Garden Casserole". I soon dubbed it Desperation Casserole because it is so simple and uses what most people have on hand all the time.

It is the casserole I turn to whenever I am out of time and ingredients and am asked to take a meal in to someone who is sick or has a new baby. And they always rave about it. Even my gourmet cooking friends can't resist it and think it is more elaborate then it is for some reason. It's the classic simple casserole-true comfort food.

(Serve it with a salad because those aren't the most nutritious of veges in there but hey, better then nuthin.)

Ok so there are 7 ingredients not 5 but I figure the milk hardly counts and neither does the mushroom soup for heavens sake. Everyone has cream of mushroom soup. It's un-American not to.

  1. 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced (we use the George Foreman grill)
  2. 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  3. 1 can green beans
  4. 1 can sweet corn
  5. 2 cups cooked rice (we use brown)
  6. 1 can French Fried Onions
  7. 1/2 cup of milk

  • Mix the soup with the milk
  • Add to the chicken, rice, corn and beans
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
  • Remove and add French Fried Onions to top it
  • Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until they look crispy and brown enough.
You can season the chicken rice mixture with a bit of salt and pepper if you are so inclined, I find it a bit bland without some seasoning.

Click here for Lemonade Cookies, my summer standby - also super easy (and quick) to make with ingredients you are likely to have on hand.

I'm reading: Desperation CasseroleTweet this!

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Oohh, sounds yummy! Gonna add that recipe to my menu next week!

The Momster said...

This sounds great - and I love the comment about cream of mushroom soup :)

nyn said...

Wow, this is so up my alley. Opening cans and putting together. I think even with my miserable cooking skills I might just be able to do it.

Unknown said...

Very simple!

Missy said...

The recipe is going in my recipe box under the lifesaver section!!! Our ward has babies by the minute and this is going to be a well used recipe.

Finding Normal said...

Another great recipe to try! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I will have to try this.

I will use the left over lemonade from my pie to make some more lemonade cookies.