Poignant..

Fall is fading fast here. Last week was breathtaking. It was perfect. It was sublime. It was made for the occasion.

This week is the let-down. It is cold, it is bleak, it is gray and with every last leaf that falls I am reminded of the grim promise of what lies ahead. For about the next 6 months. It was as I was miserably pondering this after dropping Finny off at preschool today that I found myself listening to a lovely rendition of this song I learned in Primary. (Shona, it reminds me of you.)

Whenever I hear the song of a bird Or look at the blue, blue sky Whenever I feel the rain on my face Or the wind as it rushes by Whenever I touch a velvet rose or walk by a lilac tree
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world,
Heavenly Father created for me

It was just as those words were sung that I looked up and saw this scene. I made a special trip back out to the spot I was in later, stood in the middle of the road and snapped away..

























To me, these photos look as though they are black and whites which have been altered with little
pops of colour, you know that effect that is so popular, which I have no idea how to do? In fact these are straight out of my camera. Aaron thinks they look like paintings.

I must concede that without the starkness of the bare trees, the colours would not have been so striking. The juxtaposition between bare and vibrant is what makes the scene so beautiful.

It is the same with the seasons of course. The brutal (by some standards) Winter makes the Spring glorious, the Summer joyful and the Autumn sublime. Winter has its moments, you can't beat a thick fresh snowfall for pure serenity, but mostly we have to give it props for making all the other seasons look so good.

And once again, I am glad that I live in this beautiful world with people who invent this kind of thing. Its never too early to get one for yourself you know.

I'm reading: Poignant..Tweet this!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

I agree--it does look like a black-and-white photo with artificial pops of red color. Gorgeous! I'm glad you took the time to go back and capture it for all of us to see.

nyn said...

These are beautiful!!Thank you for the much needed reminder the world is not turning to bleekness. It was very hard to climb out of bed today to face the gray, cold drearyness that has become fall.

Anonymous said...

Aaron is right - your pics. DO look like artwork, which I think they are. And I suppose there is a lesson to be learned in the fact that "there must needs be opposition in all things". The stark trees certainly do highlight the beauty of the colour. All colour or all grey would not have been nearly as effective. Told you you are a good photographer!
Love,

Marmie.

Amz said...

These are gorgeous! Thank you for the reminder of why we have this season...I like how you said Winter makes all the other seasons look good! Very well put. My cousin commented on my blog, when I posted about disliking winter, and she said something so poignant: "Winter is not death. It is a rest. Every life must rest to live fully. No plant can live in a constant state of bloom. It must lie dormant for a state, rest, gather its energy for the next season."

April Kennedy said...

Those are beautiful....frame worthy and maybe $$$$ worthy!