Cold. Have I mentioned I'm not a fan?

November 06, 2007

It is freezing here today. Literally freezing, and this morning we saw our first little flurries of snow, much to the excitement of my children, for whom I felt compelled to feign enthusiasm through clenched teeth.
Combined with a wind stiff enough to blow away  a small child, (it was touch and go for a moment  there for poor Finny-fortunately he had a good breakfast), and a lead grey sky, I'm not loving it.
The only thing that is keeping my spirits from plummeting regarding the fact that Winter is doggedly on its way, is the fact that the trees are still very beautiful. The flame coloured leaves have remained on the trees for longer then usual due to a blessedly mild October, and they are actually quite striking against the grey sky.
I remembered today as I piled my 4th layer on and still felt cold in my own home, that I really detest being cold. I find it quite painful. I would so much rather be uncomfortably hot. I can much more easily embrace being sweaty then frostbitten, but alas it is not to be. At least not for the next 6-7 months. However, far more traumatic to me even then the cold, is the Ugly, and so tonight I am grateful for a warm house, a warm car, a warm coat and for an extended reprieve from the ugly.
Img_5911
Posted at 10:40 PM | Permalink

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54ee69349883400e54f7c0fd28833
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cold. Have I mentioned I'm not a fan?:

Comments

Jen
Amen! I'm not looking forward to it. bbblllaaahhh
Posted by: Jen | November 07, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Samantha
I can't stand being cold either. When I lived in Wisconsin and had to leave my house, I consoled myself that it was a short walk to my car from my front door. But then I would find myself in the frigid car, in pain I was so cold, remembering once again that cars aren't warm from the moment you get in... you have to wait for them to warm up. I have no experience with childbirth, but maybe my always "forgetting" that my car was cold is a bit like "forgetting" the pain of childbirth?
Anyway, perhaps I can cheer your spirits with two reminders--it's summer in South Africa, where you'll soon be, and don't forget that the ugliness of winter enhances the beauty of Spring. You don't get Springs like that in places like San Diego!
To make this your blog's longest comment yet (perhaps), I'd like to add a small "boast"... I actually rarely drove in Wisconsin, because I commuted to work by bicycle when there wasn't ice out (the couple times I tried to ride to work on ice panned out very painfully), and caught the bus the rest of the time. I am very proud of the fact that I rode my bike to work (2.5 miles away) a few days one January in 1° F weather. Not 1° C (in fact, that's -17°C). My breath froze on my eyelashes (it was diverted up to my eyes by the scarf I had wrapped over my mouth). Cold weather has a way of making you feel that you can be proud you're a survivor, I think.
Posted by: Samantha | November 08, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Amz
I hear ya! My requirement for winter is one snow...that's all I need, then "bring back, bring back, oh bring back my summer to me, to me"...uh-hem. I do NOT like the cold either!
Posted by: Amz | November 08, 2007 at 01:51 AM

I'm reading: Cold. Have I mentioned I'm not a fan?Tweet this!

0 comments: