Aaron said I would be amongst those being screamed at through the bull-horn...

October 07, 2007

My mom and some other sane friends have been telling me for some time now that they believe long- distance running is somewhat irrational and unhealthy, and when taken far enough, even dangerous. I have valiantly defended my sport by poo-poing their concerns and informing them of all of it's merits, most notably of the endorphines which go a long way toward keeping me sane.
They have been doggedly undeterred in their insistence that we (particularly me,) are quite, quite crazy ,stupid, unwise and would no doubt find ourselves in dire health straits if we kept this up.  Actually, there has been some not so subtle alluding to the fact that the reason I would be a good candidate for a walk-on patient role on House over the last couple of months, (due to a series of bizarro yet so far unexplainable symptoms), was directly in correlation with my increase in mileage.
Today was a humbling (for me) I told you so (for them) moment.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071007/ap_on_sp_ot/run_chicago_marathon
When I nobly sent the story to my friend Peggy (one of the Sane Disapprovers) she replied with something along the lines of "imagine the endorphine rush for the people who realised that they didn't die or have to go to the ER!". She may have a point.
However! Tomorrow, if I have time, I will attempt to break down the apparent craziness of it a little for those who no speakuh the Crazy. But for tonight I will eat my humble pie and think of it as carbo-loading..
PS: I was quite touched by Aaron's image of me.
Posted at 10:18 PM | Permalink

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54ee69349883400e54f0733d28834
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Aaron said I would be amongst those being screamed at through the bull-horn...:

Comments

Julie
Ooh ooh ooh am I one of the sane friends? :-) This morning on the news they added that someone died in the Army 10 miler in Washington, D.C. I think it's all about knowing when to stop, but that's just me.
Posted by: Julie | October 08, 2007 at 09:46 AM

Kirsty
Yes you would be a Sane friend. I totally know when to stop! You stop at the finish line.
So sad about the 10 miler guy but he probably would have died from something else since 10 miles is really not that far.
Posted by: Kirsty | October 08, 2007 at 12:21 PM

I'm reading: Aaron said I would be amongst those being screamed at through the bull-horn...Tweet this!

0 comments: