Adieu! Welcome!

Happy 2009 Luvvies!
We welcomed the New Year in amidst truly spectacular fireworks on freezing Navy Pier in Chicago after a lovely evening spent with friends eating Chicago style pizza pie (delicious) and Ghiradelli brownies. After we were done with the freezing we went back to our chi-chi hotel (thank you Priceline, and Shona) and broke out the bubbly. It was a lovely way to start the year.


Last night of 2008, Chicago


Looking for that elusive parking space at 11pm on 12/31
Spectacularly unspectacular picture of Navy Pier. Freezing cold but fun and festive
About 11:45pm on New Year's Eve, looking perky and spry. Actually it was phenomenal how well the kids held up. Finny was delighted to have made it to midnight! Not bad for a four year old who has walked several city blocks in the c-c-c-cold in search of a store that was not Prada, Pucci, or even Nordstrom in search of a new coat for his big brother who decided that since it was "like 60 degrees" when he packed, he should leave his coat at home. Nice move, boy genius. (I was just a tad annoyed. Actually I am thinking it was probably a diabolically genius plan since he never liked that coat.)
My spectacularly unspectacular fireworks photos (they really were incredible) just before my camera died which is probably just as well as I narrowly escaped frostbite on my fingers taking just that one.

Dancing on the bed


I love me a synopsis and I found this one on Jen Lynn's blog which took all the work out of it. So without further ado...

2008 in Review

What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?

Hmm....well, I went to Chicago?

Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I can't remember if I made any. My most recently successful year was the year I made no resolutions so I'm sort of vague about making them now.

Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, I have several friends who had beautiful little babies which made me quite hungry for my own but I'm over that for now.

Did anyone close to you die?

No

What countries did you visit? Just this one

What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

More patience, serenity and endurance.

What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

November 4th. YEEEEEEEAHHHHHH baby!! One of the most exciting, magical days ever.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Well I did graduate, even though I did everything I did to do that in 2007. That and Obama winning Ohio being completely thanks to me.

What was your biggest failure?

Wasting time and being impatient with my family.

Did you suffer illness or injury?

It was a healthy year for us all, for which I am truly grateful.

What was the best thing you bought? Any time I paid off a some debt.

Whose behavior made you appalled or depressed? George W. Bush and his cronies

Where did most of your money go? Lots of lovely bills.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Did I mention OBAMA WON???!!!!!! WHOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

What song will always remind you of 2008?

Probably Coldplay's Viva la Vida, because Aaron was slightly obsessed with it and it was one of the last songs they played on New Year's Eve before the clock struck midnight.

Compared to this time last year, are you: much happier, richer, nicer?

Yes to all, I like to think.

What do you wish you'd done more of?

Learning, spiritual growth and mastery. I read the Book of Mormon three times though, which I guess was a resolution.

What do you wish you'd done less of? Yelling at my kids, and sitting thinking that I really must get up and do something constructive.

How did you spend Christmas?

In my pajamas, with my family, watching my kids play with their presents, being happy that my sister and brother in law were here and feeling very blessed

Did you fall in love in 2008?

YES! With my SAD light.

What was your favorite TV program?

The Office. I didn't get to see it very often though.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No. I feel at peace with the world more or less. I even feel quite sorry for W.

What was the best book you read this year?

Book of Mormon.

What was your greatest musical discovery?

Nothing really stands out. (The iPod answer that was in here before was one that I failed to delete from Jen Lynn's synopsis LOL.)

What did you want and get?

A Wii Fit.

What were your favorite films of this year?

I'm not sure anything really blew me away. I liked Juno, Mama Mia....

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I felt really sorry for myself. I was just back from South Africa, sans luggage and I turned 32.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Winning the lottery and being debt free. Having a book published and being debt free? Getting an inheritance and being debt free?

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008.

Consignment Chic

What kept you sane?

Prayer

Scriptures

Exercise

The lamp

Aaron

Taking care of my kids

My family

My friends

Chocolate

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Obama! Hello!!!!?????

Who did you miss? My family as always.

Who was the best new person (people) you met?

I've met some cool new peeps through this blog and rekindled friendships through Facebook.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

That my worth in the sight of God is unchanging. I may have known it logically but the penny did not drop fully until fairly recently.

What are you most excited for in 2009?

My brother Seth's wedding-one week from today! Inauguration Day! Birthdays! Summer! Christmas. Hopefully getting to Australia in December!

What are you least excited for in 2009?

Let's not ruin a nice fresh new year with dark speculation shall we?

I'm reading: Adieu! Welcome!Tweet this!

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I particularly like the photo of you and your kids... *you* look perky, but the kids sure don't!

Here's to a great 2009, and to debt being less of a theme in your annual summary a year from now (because there will be less of it, that is)!

As for your iPod... are the songs not in your iTunes library still?

Sassy Sissy said...

Hey, Hey! You visited my hometown. Well, sorta my hometown, my hometown after college. But, you did pass right through my birthplace (Gary) and breezed by where my parents reside (Hobart). Good for you for stimulating the midwestern economy!

Kirsty said...

LOL Sam, I was being ironic about the spry and perky. I was perhaps the least spry of any of us having gone to bed at 2:30am the night before! I was amazed that anyone was still conscious at all.

nyn said...

Looks like a very fun time. We have yet to make it to Chicago (living only four hours away). It would be splendid to meet there this summer when it is warmer. Yikes...I am impressed you braved the could to go outside in the freezing Chicago air.
Love you and Happy New year.