Clueless

Every hour of every day I'm learning more, the more I learn the less I know about before.

I quoted these immortal words to the young women I teach today. They seemed nonplussed. They have never heard of UB40. How sad and wrong is that? Additionally, I don't think they have any idea what it must feel like not to know anything, since when you are their age you are pretty confident that you know almost everything. Well at least I was.

The older I get though, the more I realize how very little I know about pretty much anything. So much for getting wiser with age! I thought that was deal, you know...it came as a consolation prize along with the wrinkles and declining tolerance for junk food? (Make no mistake, the spirit remains willing but the flesh rebels)

Could it be perhaps, that realizing how unwise you really are is in itself a sign of wisdom? Gosh, I hope so. The alternative, taking Occam's Razor into account, is that I am in fact, a moron.


Homer Simpson-Moron


Homer-Ancient Greek Poet(The Iliad and the Odyssey) Not so much a moron.

I'm reading: CluelessTweet this!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, my sweet Kirsty.....UB40?!?! I think it's just fine that young women of today haven't been exposed to such mediocrity. On a more introspective note, Dad and I were talking just the other day and saying the more we learn the more we realize there IS to learn. So you're not alone. In fact, I considered myself to be well educated until I realized I had never heard of Occam's razor. So thanks for the Wikipedia link! You ARE wise--wise enough to keep learning!!

jmt said...

The older I get, the more I wish others would WANT to learn. I have found that I get excited to learn new things (that usually do NOT pertain to my work whatsoever), but others seem to be just fine with status quo. It's disappointing. At least these girls you speak of have the option of "wanting to learn" vs. "status quo" attitudes ahead of them. :)

Joel said...

"I was like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

-Isaac Newton

Joel said...

"Wisest is he who knows that he does not know."

-Socrates