Getting what you *really* want...


So I don't know if I mentioned that I had me a little birthday last week. No? Well I did :)

And it was fabu as I may have mentioned. Having the day dedicated to making the world a better place and so many people sacrificing time, comfort and effort to do just that, is a gift that can't be beat. However to make the day even more extra special I got a couple of lovely gifts from my husband and kids. They were things I really wanted but could not justify getting for myself. My husband loves to get me gifts and he generally does very well on his own, but sometimes he spends way more then he needs to or expends too much stress on the search when really, a bottle of bubble bath is all I am craving.

But don't you find that when you are pressed to come up with something you would like as a gift you can think of absolutely nothing? Isn't it frustrating? Like when you have money to spend and an event to go to and you can't find a single appealing outfit but when you're broke and have no reason to buy a beautiful dress, there are beautiful dresses everywhere? Life tends to be that way. A couple of days before my birthday, my husband was whining that he had no idea what to get me, while I was surfing the net finding great sales here and there and everywhere of things I really fancied but wouldn't consider buying myself. When suddenly the obvious solution struck me. Ya think?

So here's a big idea. Go to your Bookmarks, open a new folder. Call it Wish List and every time you come across something you really love but would never buy for yourself bookmark it. Inform your signifcant other of this file. Invite them to feel free to peruse this file at any time. They may not get exactly what is in there but they can sure get a feel for what you'd like and it saves you from the "I can't think of a thing even though I know there are so many things I covet and I will regret this in about a week.." syndrome.

Valentine's day is coming. You might want to open that file.

I'm reading: Getting what you *really* want...Tweet this!

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I have the same problem! It's so hard for me to think of things for people to give me for my birthday etc. I like your idea for sure, and I have been thinking of implementing something similar myself. I do keep an amazon.com wishlist, and I noticed recently that they now allow you to add things from other websites to your wishlist with them. In fact, I just remembered that I somehow got a "button" from them to put at the top of my web browser that says "Add to Amazon Wish List." So, when I'm on a page with something good on it, I can click that and have it added to the list (haven't actually tried it yet). On a somewhat related note, I also have a "Share on Facebook" button up there that allows me to share websites I like with my friends with very little effort (I have used that one, and it works great).

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I created a list on Amazon some time back, but I definitely need to update it.

Have a great Wednesday!
Sherry
http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/2009/02/works-for-me-uplifting-music.html

Kristen said...

That is a great idea. I am always finding things I'd like months before my birthday or even Christmas and then I forget when the time comes to give people ideas. I will have to try this.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so funny! We should live closer. This is a great idea~the wishlist, I really dig it.

On your other post about driving in the rain, whoever said "learn to drive already" really sounds like some sarcasm in my van on a daily basis! I think we would get along fabulously!
Thanks for visiting today...
~Misti

Jennifer said...

Good tip! I love the title of your blog.

April Kennedy said...

I love the bookmark idea! Yeah for the internet....again!

But at Christmas time I leave several wish list items 'on hold' at a few favorite stores and then tell him where items are on hold and for how long...that way I am guaranteed something that fits, and that I like...but there is the surprise of seeing which of the hold items he picked for me!