Fooling Around With My Husband...






{I'm almost certain I've told this story before, (I remember the comments even!) but a cursory check of my haphazardly labeled archives turned up nothing....so much for ye Olde Cutte & Paste. Oh well, it's worth the repost.
}

What I am about to share with you is the delightful tale of when I tricked my husband (oh, but good), one fateful April Fools Day, turning him into a laughing stock at the office to boot. Ahhh, good times.



I am a compulsive liar joker. Some people (particularly men,) are somewhat unnerved by me because (amongst several other reasons I suspect,) they "never know when you're serious."

All this to say that my husband, after almost 14 years of marriage, is now wise to me and does not even do a double take when I flash a red Sharpie amended "positive" pregnancy test at him anymore. Bummer. However on one glorious Spring day a couple of years ago, when his guard was (foolishly) down, I had my moment.

At about 10am on April 1st, I called him at work and engaged him in some disarming chitchat. Then I lowered my tone into one of hushed urgency, "Aaron, this guy called and he said he needed to speak to you immediately. It sounded really serious, please call him right away and let me know, because I am stressing over what it could be!"

Aaron, being the obliging and obedient fellow he is, agreed to call promptly. I gave him the phone number of the local Zoo and told him to ask for "Mr. Lyon" (I even spelled it for him with the misleading "y" -ha! I have a criminal's eye for detail, folks).

And this is how it went down:

He called the Zoo, and dutifully asked for Mr. Lyon. He was informed that no such individual was available. He pressed them, "are you sure? I am returning his call, he said it was very urgent". A pause. Finally the resigned voice replied dead-pan, "Sir, this is the Zoo, it is April 1st, someone has fooled you".

Here's the best part, gentle reader:

My sweet, guileless, (momentarily) trusting husband then called me in great indignation to inform me that we had been tricked! It was only when my apoplectic laughter caused me to snort (in a genteel manner), that he finally....finally cottoned on.

"YOU!", he gasped aghast with shock and outrage. He had been had, and it was by she to whom he was wed. His sweet and loving wife, the very one!

His workmates still call him Mr. Lyon. One guy went so far as to call in a growly voice, identifying himself as Mr. Tiger.

*Happy sigh*....It was awesome. I wonder if he would fall for it again this year.....sadly probably not. But you should definitely try it, I bet it works for you too.

Happy April!

I'm reading: Fooling Around With My Husband...Tweet this!

22 comments:

Corrie at "Cents"able Momma said...

Great prank!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

That is so funny!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Ha! That's hilarious!

KellytheKitchenKop.com said...

Belly laughing!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

That IS good!

Heather@justdoingmybest said...

Hilarious!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's good!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's hysterical-I love it!! Wonder how many calls the zoo gets on April Fools Day.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

LOL! That's a funny one! I don't generally like April Fools pranks, but this one is harmless and funny.

LunaMoonbeam said...

hehehehehehe ;-)

MrsM said...

You're good. You're very very good.

I may seriously try this. I never play pranks, so I'd totally get away with it too!

mub said...

This is a GREAT story! I love it!

na said...

That is hilarious! My honey is the trickster in our family...so I am on my guard today!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This is hilarious! Something i could pull off!

Stephanie said...

BWAH HAH HAH HAH!!! Oh, man, you make poor sweet Aaron's life a living hell and I LOVE IT! (Not that I don't love Aaron, too.) What a great prank. I could use it if only my husband would respond to my urgent appeals to return certain phone calls...but he doesn't. Bummer.

jmt said...

What a fun trick to play!! LOL I might just consider it...although my husband doesn't promptly do anything I ask of him.

H.K. said...

You had me cracking up! I'm a jokester too, so I'm going to be trying this on my husband today. Your poor husband, this is one joke that NO ONE will ever let him forget!

(found your blog on "MOrmon MOmmy blogs)

Berji's domain said...

That is pretty funny.
I actually *did* find out I was pregnant on April 1- very surprising for both of us.

Rebecca said...

You're hilariously mean!

I can't wait 'til 7 pm rolls around and my hubby comes home after receiving a faked parking ticket that the kids and I just put on his truck.

There's a link to it on my post today:
http://www.turnedloose.blogspot.com/

Watch your back and Happy AFD!

Anonymous said...

My assistant principal does this to our new teachers. He gives them a note to call Miss Kitty with a phone number and it is the # for the animal shelter!

Kiy said...

Oh girl, you are wic-ked! Love it!

Kiy

nyn said...

I don't remember this story. I love it. I was laughing so hard. I am only sad it is no longer April 1st so I can try it out.