Expect scattered showers....

I anticipate much snot en trane (*snot and tears in the ever descriptive Afrikaans language) in the days ahead.

Tomorrow is....Finny's last day of pre-school. Let me reiterate the tragical nature of this post:
Tomorrow is the last day I will have a pre-schooler. I officially have... no more babies. (I think I have uttered that last sentence every year since he turned one, but this year it is the most real...)

Does it not seem like yesterday that I was traumatized about his first day of preschool?


To add great insult to injury, next week this same non-baby will turn five. There is something very final about five. You can't pretend a five year old is an infant as much as you may try.

I have to say Finny has been very sympathetic to my angst. In fact it has caused him some consternation. He ranges from...

sweet cajoling:

"Mommy, don't worry! Now I will be with you all the time, and we will have so much fun..we will play board games! And cuddle! I will live with you for the rest of my life! I don't want to marry anyone else, just you. I don't want to be a daddy! " (Norman Bates?)

to the matter of fact:

"Mommy, I am not going to change just because I am turning five! I am still going to be adorable. I am still going to have the cutest little bum in the world. I am going to be just the same Finny."

to the tough love:

"Mommy, I am supposed to grow! It is a good thing that I am growing! I am sorry but I have to. And really mommy, you have had a LOT of time with me already."

Surprisingly enough he has similar angst about me growing up, "I don't want you to be a grandma!" Change is hard on us all. Happily my grandma days are far in the future but tomorrow...my baby will no longer be a pre-schooler.

I choked up yesterday driving away from the school as the sweet little old man who lets me in and out of the gate wished me a happy Summer. He was going to be off today and tomorrow so could not say goodbye then. I realized I would not be seeing him again, not after Summer, not at all. The school has been a permanent fixture in our lives since we moved to Ohio. One child after another has passed through it's doors with no break in between. We have loved every minute of it there. One of my closest friends in the world has been their teacher. I won't be seeing her every day anymore...it's all just too.much.

And it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Things are going to be very, very damp.

Above are scenes from our LAST EVER {gulp,sniff} preschool bike parade on campus earlier this week. They decorate their bikes and ride around the quad while students and parents cheer them on. Siblings running along side him as always (so sweet) and a quick pit-stop. After, he posed (with helmet head) by some of his finest art creations from preschool this year.

I'm reading: Expect scattered showers....Tweet this!

10 comments:

warmfuzzies said...

I can totally relate to you! I felt the same way when y daughetr graduated Kindergarten. It was so final. Althought I have to say her graduation just reitterated how she is my baby and will always be. Right after my daughter got her K-5 diploma from the principal she sat down and threw up blue cupcake frosting thow-up all over her white cap and gown. The other kids in the class tried to be polite but the boy next to her started gagging. I just remember throwing the camera downa nd running to her. My husband carried her out of the auditorium and we cleaned her up. They threw away the cap and gown and got her a clean one. She felt better after that. We thought her not feeling well before the event was just nerves but she really did not feel good and the blue cupcake she ate before the grad was prolly not a good idea. Although her school colors are white and blue so, how appropriate! :)

Steph said...

The Finnster is going to be 5?! No way!! Time sure does fly by - give that little man a big bday hug for us!

Jules said...

Aww, he is such a sweetheart! What a wonderful picture of the two of you.

Stephanie said...

I ache for you, mostly because I'm having a hard time watching my own baby grow up! I'll be thinking of you!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I seem to be at the opposite spectrum than you and I can't even imagine. It would be sad (and a little boring)

Brittany said...

So sweet.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Aww...mama. I'm sorry.

You're going to have to coach me through this - my baby starts preschool in September. *sob* I'm SO torn.

We'll get through this, mama. We will survive! (and did your little man REALLY say all those things? What a precocious little bugger!!!! :-D)

Aubrey said...

OMGoodness. My heart is breaking along with yours. My last baby turns 3 next week. Next year, preschool.
Hang in there!

THANKS so much for stopping by on my SITS day last week!

jmt said...

What a sad day for you. :( I am about to send my first off to kindergarten in the fall and it's weird. It's weird to think I have one who'll be five in a couple of short months. I hope you got through okay.

Anonymous said...

I relate so well. I remember when I dropped off my one and only at that time at nursery school (she WAS 5) and came home and sobbed uncontrolably! Life IS full of milestones, but as the wise Finster said to grow is GOOD. Think of the alternative!
Marmie.