Fields of gold and... apples of....red



I've noticed that there is nothing like Autumn to inspire bloggers to lyricism.

In South Africa there are seasons, but they are certainly not as distinct as they are in Ohio. We mainly talk about Summer and Winter but we don't refer to them often. We mark time in the names of the months not by the season. In Winter we look forward to Summer, but the whole culture of being seasoncentric (I just made that up) is definitely not something I grew up with.

I often pine for living in warmer climes, I particularly pine for living closer to family (who happen to live in warmer climes), but should my fond wish one day be granted, I do know that I would miss the seasons. Perhaps more then anything. Well...I would miss 3 of the 4 seasons....Winter is ok, well no, mostly it's not ok but I will tolerate it from late November to late February and no longer. I love a fresh snow-fall and I particularly love that it pretties things up. I like the excuse to mainline hot chocolate and the fact that I can cover the parts of my body where the chocolate goes to live.


It's just a shame it always has to make a pig of itself and linger and linger until June..... If it stuck to its designated time frame, I think I'd cope better. It it was not so dark and so dreary and just...drek..




But Spring! When it finally comes...is so glorious. And Summer is such a celebration of life.

And Fall or Autumn as we refer to it....well like so many people I have a special place in my heart for Autumn.




I love Autumn. (I don't love that we don't wait for Summer to properly end before we declare it "Fall" because Fall is a wonderful season. But sadly it is a short season. It seems that time Fall lasts is set, never extended, although often curtailed. There is only so long those leaves can maintain that colour and hang onto the trees. So we can either encroach on Summer to have Fall early, or we encroach on Winter later. I would much rather we stole some time from Winter). Back to the joys of Autumn....



I think the sense of anticipation is what I love the most. There is a magical sort of energy in the air as we start to remember the things that are to come. For me it's the nesting that happens in my home. My house was made for Fall. We bought it in late Autumn and fell in love with it then. The coziness of it, the jewel tones it is decorated with..it's their time to shine when Autumn comes along.

{Desperate Housekids}


The spicy apple scented candles, the sudden desire I have to cook and bake things. It's a time of domestic hunkering down which is a pleasant novelty for me.



I love the trips to the pumpkin farm, it's fun to wear blazers and light jackets again, I've never been a huge sweater fan but I love me a cute little jacket... (yes..it's all fun and games until the heavy winter coats come out), I love unabashedly and without reservation, the holiday of Thanksgiving-ironically enough. I even in theory, love Halloween.


Mostly, I love the beauty of it. I feel cherished by the Lord when I see the beauty he has created for us to enjoy. The range of colour is mesmerizing to me, and my eyes drink in all the fiery colours and varied textures hungrily before the grey sets in. The light of Autumn is also phenomenal, golden and mellow with truly azure skies. The best light of the year for photography in my experience. The richness of Autumn, a party for the senses-every single one of them. I clutch it all like a parting gift, something to fortify me for the difficult time ahead and pray that this year it will manage to hold on for a little while longer...


If you are very observant you may notice that we went apple picking. It was our celebration of the first day of Autumn earlier this week. Now we have lots and lots of apples filling every bowl that we have...staring at us expectantly. So..do tell, what is your favourite way to eat an apple? Got any great appley recipes?

*It's Beautiful Life Friday over at one of my favourite sites, The Inspired Room. Go check it out! What made your life beautiful this week?

I'm reading: Fields of gold and... apples of....redTweet this!

14 comments:

Janet said...

Oh, I agree. Fall is a wonderful time of year. I've often said there is nothing quite as beautiful as a September sky. The haze of Summer clears and it is so crisp and blue. Beautiful pictures from your apple picking adventure. I had to laugh at your Desperate Housekids. I love apples so many ways. Plain, caramel covered, apple dumplings, apple pie.....

jmt said...

What a wonderful adventure you guys and gals had. The desperate housekids look like they're enjoying themselves immensely. :) Your sentiments are mine. I'm beginning to think we've shared a brain in a former lifetime. Happy Friday.

April Kennedy said...

I like peanut butter on my apple, but I feel bad saying that right under TOOJ's comment. :(

Surprisingly I look forward each year to the days ending earlier and I welcome the dark evenings. A time and a season to everything I guess!

Chief said...

I have no apple recipes, but I will tell you that I need every season. the cycle of the year keeps me sane!

The Sayer Family said...

How fun! Those apples look SO delicious and your kids are beautiful like always! Apples have been my "dessert of choice" the past couple of months. Jeremy has always loved a good apple crisp! Enjoy your fall. I think we are almost there (we are still getting up to 90 degrees today!)

Gourmet Candles Distributor said...

Yes fall is here, I got my pumpkin cheesecake candles just glowing through our home. Fresh apples are just so scrumptious. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I miss those days when I used to homeschool our boys and we would take a day to go pick apples up in Highrolls, NM. So much fun!

blessings
mary

chiara said...

It's the only season I miss living in Southern California. But you are right - it is a woefully short season. Fall is only really the month of October. November starts getting too cold. September has many "Indian Summer" days where it's hot (is the phrase "Indian Summer" ok or is that not acceptable? I just remember saying it as a kid growing up in New England... but then again we also said "jimmies" for sprinkles on ice cream and I only recently found it that it's also a bit of a racial slur).

Still, even with the nostalgia of Fall, I much prefer the weather of California.

Eden said...

Oh apples, how my family loves them. We eat them ALL year, but gorge on them in Autumn! I bake them with raisins and pecans stuffed in the hollowed out core all drizzled in maple syrup, I bake them with pork and sweet potatoes, Will makes apple pie with them, I combine them with sauerkraut and cook the mixture with sausage, I eat them with zesty sharp cheddar (or if feeling extravagant, brie), my children eat them with peanut butter and just today I discovered that they are SO GOOD with freshly made hummus (which, when made with the right tahini tastes vaguely like peanut butter) - my new FAVORITE way to snack with an apple!

MrsM said...

What better way to have apples than in pie? A couple Tuesdays ago I posted a very good recipe (it's even on the "healthier" side...you know, for pie) if you want to check it out.

Thanks for your encouraging words on my post yesterday. It really made me feel a lot better!

PS-The pictures you took are beautiful!

PPS-I left an award for you over at my blog =)

Amz said...

Beautiful post and beautiful photos! I used to love, love, love fall, but after California, it signals that we are on death's door. I try really hard to not let that view trickle into my brain. Their is no denying that the colors are absolutely amazing! And my cousin put it so well when I was feeling that winter was taking too long...she said this,"Winter is not death. It is a rest. Every life must rest to live fully. No plant can live in a constant state of bloom. It must lie dormant for a state, rest, gather its energy for the next season."
~Jana (10/15/08

The Prudent Homemaker said...

We love apples! I just bought 400lbs! (They were .50 a pound, which is very, very unusual for here).

I am making apple sauce, apple butter, apple tarts (http://theprudenthomemaker.com/appletart.aspx), baked apples, salad with apples (http://theprudenthomemaker.com/sweetspringsalad.aspx), autumn stew, and we'll be eating apples with cheese, or just plain apples.

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just adore autumn! Sadly, we do not really have one here in Phoenix. I dream of the day when I will experience fall once more.

Moore Minutes said...

You are so funny! :) I especially love your Desperate Housekids!!! LOL

Gorgeous photos and it looks like such a fun time! I have to agree with you and everyone else and say that I just love Autumn too!

Also, I am having my first giveaway if you're interested:

http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/09/pleated-poppy-giveaway.html