WFMW: Family bonding with Advent Calendars


So this is our advent calendar. Each of our four kids get to pick it's pocket once every four days. In the past they have found a tiny ornament, or a tiny chocolate, but this year is so much cooler.

Last night everyone in the family wrote something they loved about each of the rest of us on a separate slip of paper. (Since there are 6 of us we ended up with 30 slips-check out my mad math skillz-so we double up here and there). The rest is simple, I tucked each one into it's designated window and now the magic begins. The kids have been more excited to reach into the pocket then they ever have been before. Everyone loves to read something nice about themselves. And it is so interesting to find out what it is about you that makes a difference to the people you hang with.


Tonight was Benj's turn, he pulled out Gracie's note to him. She said he is a great big brother and she loves him because he will play Wii music with her. This was his reaction and I swear it was not staged, nor did I suggest it.


It was a spontaneous moment of affection which is a precious thing for boys around his age. Particularly when it comes to their sisters.

I cannot wait to read each of them. Maybe I will post the note of the day here for posterity because I know we are going to lose those pieces of paper.

Try it-in one form or another this season, you will like it.

PS: Welcome to newest follower Jenny! You have an awesome smile. It is a delight to have you along for the ride. Do you have a blog? I could not find it to link it up. Let me know! :)

I'm reading: WFMW: Family bonding with Advent CalendarsTweet this!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh thank you for the welcome! What a sweet thing to do (why didn't I think of that?). I do have a blog. It's called Southern Institute for Domestic Arts and Crafts and you can find it at http://sidac.blogspot.com

I love your idea for the advent calender! I am going to do that as soon as the kids are all old enough to understand. Have a great day!

Mikki said...

Aww. What a great idea for an advent calendar!! I love it!
We have one with little ornaments in them that we put on a small tree. Now that my girls are older, it's become a little childish for them. This may be the answer we need.

What a precious moment between brother and sister!

Samantha said...

My first year after we immigrated to the USA, when I was homesick and felt like at outcast among my classmates, my health class teacher made us each write positive things about a few other people in the class (she assigned us people and it was an anonymous process). Then, she gave us the comments other people had written about us. It was so nice to feel noticed and to read the positive things people had written about me! So, I love your advent calendar idea.

Jen said...

Ok that is a wonderful idea and so much more thoughtful than candy (Lord knows we have enough of that!) or little 'things' - got plenty of that already too. Filing that one away for future reference - thanks!

Brenda @ Tie That Binds Us said...

That's a precious advent calendar! love it.

I'm posting a lot of frugal hand made gift-giving ideas at my holiday blog. Come check it out: http://www.2008jessetree.blogspot.com

Jelli said...

I've always liked advent calendars with little chocolate "prizes" daily. This idea is so much better! I'm thinking that my ultimate advent calendar could combine both ideas--a Hershey's kiss type chocolate with a slip of paper inside declaring something sweet about a loved one. Hmm. Thanks for inspiration!

alpinekleins said...

Love that hug - it is darling!

Kristin

jmt said...

So the beginning of the notes....I love getting to the heart of the story. What a wonderful idea. We will need to do this once my little one can start writing and reading...he needs to practice niceness.

ohAmanda said...

What a great idea! I love a twist on an advent calendar!