I was born in the wrong era....perhaps we all were

I can't decide whether it's a shame or a blessing that vintage has become so ridiculously hip. (Actually I'm not sure if it's technically hip anymore because pretty much everyone is on the vintage bandwagon..hmmm...what are the rules about these things?? I kind of feel lame and sheepish about loving it because it seems so...cliched and wannabe lately. But I do..I confess...in my very soul I do.)

This is one of the reasons why everyone is gaga for vintage. (All of the lovelies I am drooling over can be found here.).

The clothes were made to make the most of a woman's body. (I may be a tad biased since they are especially kind to my figure type). They were elegant and modest.

I would love to go out on a fancy date with my husband wearing this. But alas, there is a dearth of fancy date places around here and it may be a bit over the top for our local Panera.



(Happily, this particular line is very much back in vogue). Actually, I could swear I saw something like this at Target recently) I have boat neck fitted shirt that I love with this design.

Sweet and feminine. ( Now this line would take a little more gumption to wear to the office in 2010..but if I had it in my closet, and I had an office to go to..I think I'd find the gumption)


Incredibly flattering. (Why don't I get invited to things where I get to wear red silk frocks?? Why!? Maybe there is a White House party I could crash...)

And often just magical. No wonder the song "I enjoy being a girl" came out in the 50's.

(Although just so we are clear, there are several things about being a girl in the 50's that I'm quite thrilled to be doing without.).

I'm reading: I was born in the wrong era....perhaps we all wereTweet this!

8 comments:

Amber said...

I love all these dresses, too! But alas, like you, I have no reason to wear them. Do you think they'd be too much for church?

Amber said...

P.S. I love your blog, so I tried adding your button to mine and it wasn't working. Do you know if anyone else has had any similar troubles?

jmt said...

Okay, I love that red dress. I really like the first black one as well but once I saw the red....

Unknown said...

I am with you! I love the fashion of that era! So flattering on any body shape. I need to make something that looks like these!

alpinekleins said...

Everyonce in a while I think the same thing . . . and then I remember how attached I am to my . . . digital camera . . . macbook . . . ipod touch . . . blackberry . . . naw . . . guess I can't go there :)

Kristin

Lisa said...

Wouldn't the 1st one and the last one make great prom dresses? I'll have to remember that vintage is in and modest when my daughter reaches that age...

Carri said...

All of those dressed are absolutely gorgeous. I love them. I would definitely try to find a place to wear them even if it was just to sit around the house dress up and feel pretty for the day.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.