15..there’s still time for you…aka: The Great Escape of 2010

Aaron and I celebrated our 15th anniversary on May 18th. I fortuitously (and typically) got sick on that very day and have been sick and/or extremely busy ever since so I’m only just getting to the report.
Leaving our kind friends to hold down the fort for us overnight (thank you Cindi, Jill, Amy Carolyn…and anyone else I’m forgetting-as you can tell it takes a village to wrangle four kids during soccer season) we made our escape.
We went to Columbus which is only 2 hours drive away and spent the early afternoon at the Columbus temple doing sealings.  It was about as close as one can get to “renewing” our vows and a very cool way to remember our own sealing 15 years earlier at pretty much the same time.
DSC_0300
The we went to German Village which is located right in the middle of downtown Columbus but once there you completely forget that. It’s like stepping back in time or finding yourself in another country. All the streets are cobble-stoned or brick paved. All the houses are brick with little wrought iron fences and incredibly beautiful little gardens. It is spotless and just overflowing with character. I totally want to live there.  (Warning: the rest of this post is probably going to sound like a series of paid endorsements-not so. I was just really, really impressed). Almost all of these photos were straight out of my camera..it really is this vivid and lush.
DSC_0431
DSC_0427
DSC_0459DSC_0454
DSC_0439
DSC_0446   DSC_0434
We stayed at this gorgeous and very chic Bed and Breakfast which was amazing. Here’s the  best we could capture in terms of a self portrait in the giant mirror (which really was very clean despite it’s blurry appearance.)
15years
Here are some photos of our room, the living area (which we had to ourselves that night-we felt so grown up lazing around in there without our children-isn’t that ironic) and the beautiful gardens. When we arrived we found the kitchen stocked with delicious cookies, tea, juices, cereals, yogurts, granola bars, fresh fruit…and on and on I even discovered a huge box of my beloved ferrer rocher chocolates (I refrained from inhaling them all). One cabinet was thoughtfully filled with all the ingredients for making s’mores. Including the roasting forks. In the morning we found fresh fruit salad and perhaps the most amazing banana bread I’ve ever tasted.  There were books, magazines and movies too. It was pure luxury. I just wish we’d had another night or two to take advantage of all the lovely little amenities.
DSC_0343 DSC_0340 DSC_0341 DSC_0322     DSC_0332 DSC_0337  DSC_0357 DSC_0344  DSC_0329 DSC_0324 DSC_0326
DSC_0346 DSC_0331 DSC_0370 DSC_0335     We enjoyed an amazing lunch at one of the many restaurants in the area (everything is within strolling distance and the strolling is so lovely because everything is so quaint and beautiful even the frequent drizzles made it seem more romantic).
That evening we celebrated with a very late (thanks to the wonderful lunch and excessive snacking) tapas dinner at this gorgeous restaurant.  By this point I  was feeling extra-cruddy but no fear! I self-medicated with a few sips of diet coke (blechyuck) and  the caffeine helped me rally enough to eat and enjoy it all. Heaven forbid I miss out on any opportunity for gluttony.
DSC_0396DSC_0406
DSC_0395DSC_0403
DSC_0390 DSC_0402
German village is home to the legendary Book Loft.  32 rooms of books for sale-they just lead into one another like some sort of magical labyrinth…and wow-such amazing deals. I only managed a few of the rooms, much to my despair I had to take to my (very comfortable) bed after that. I want to go back and really browse when I am not sick.
DSC_0455

DSC_0457
Another legend is the pastry shop in the area recommended by the owner of the guesthouse. The array of goodies was breathtaking. I took some photos but they turned out yucky behind the glass of the display case, and it would be sacrilege to post them because the creations are so beautiful. I think food art might be the most beautiful art there is.
Here is one photo though, of perhaps the best lemon tart I have ever tasted. DSC_0468
Some of the flowers we picked on one of our strolls. (They were from a bush that was growing sort of wild along the side of the road-no garden invasion was committed) and they smelled gorgeous.
roses
DSC_0505
DSC_0443
DSC_0444
Indulgence and pretties aside…it was a delight to spend a whole day and night uninterrupted with my best friend. We have so much fun together and I was surprised that I had such a good time feeling as bad as I did..only with Aaron.  Even stocking up on a wide array of over the counter medications late at night was an entertaining experience and I can’t believe, I honestly cannot that it has been fifteen whole years that this man has put up with me.   In all that time I have never doubted that my happiness was his number one priority and I must say that he has been thoroughly successful in that goal.
And to steal yet another line from one of my all time favourite songs…
Fifteen, I’m all right with you….I’m more then alright with you.  xoxox

I'm reading: 15..there’s still time for you…aka: The Great Escape of 2010Tweet this!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you been to Frankenmuth? Big German town in Michigan? Has a HUGE Christmas store open year round...Your pics remind me of it.

Dahling said...

Glad you had a good time Sweaty despite being sick : ( Another reason why you MUST move here - we have a German town about 20 minutes away in the hills. ...

Michelle said...

I am so glad you have such a beautiful man in your life. You deserve him and he sounds like he deserves you. So sorry you were feeling sick. Hope all better now. xoxo

The Sayer Family said...

Beautiful pictures, Kirsty! I too am sorry that you were sick but glad that you got to spend that time together with Aaron, alone!