On sunsets and other gifts..

 
Last night we were driving home after a long day and everyone was tired. Tears and recriminations had broken out in the back seat. I was focusing on not losing my dinner or my temper.
As we drove, I gazed across the fields and stared without seeing. Feeling miserable, tired, and counting the minutes until I could lie down in a quiet room. I realized after some time that I had been looking at a spectacular sunset. It was gorgeous, pinks and oranges and pale purples delicately painted across the sky. But I had been too wrapped up in myself to even notice it.
I drew my children's (one of whom was still wailing bitterly) attention to the scene. "Look guys, look at that beautiful sunset that Heavenly Father painted to make us happy, and we're just ignoring it as we cry and feel sorry for ourselves. I wonder how that makes Him feel?”
Instant silence. "Wow!" wailing child said. “Did he really paint that? “
"Yes he did" (it was late and I was nauseated-it was not time to get technical about dust particles), “ I wonder how you’d feel if you made daddy and me a beautiful painting and we just ignored it or threw it on the floor and stomped around feeling sorry for ourselves?"...
The rest of the drive home was peaceful.
I was not successful in holding onto my dinner last night, but I did manage to keep my temper and self pity in check from that moment on and even through this morning (Sunday mornings can be trying) as I took this analogy into my own heart.
I am so blessed. I have been given countless beautiful "paintings" and gifts as tokens of His love for me. How can I ever feel sorry for myself? My beautiful, sweet children, my kind, loving husband, the blue almost-Autumn sky, my thoughtful, generous friends, the flowers that grow in front of my house, my home itself, the sun that rises, the water so freely available to me. ... Daily, every moment, I am inundated with gifts.
Mostly I am blessed to know that  they are given with love. That I am loved regardless of how unloveable I may be or feel.  That I know that my most precious gifts can be mine forever.
“Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.” (2 Cor. 9:15.)
I must and resolve to be better at acknowledging these gifts of great love, at noticing them, at allowing them to bring me joy and believing that there are more in store for me if I will ask and have faith. 
“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask of him?” (Matt. 7:9–11.)
I want my life to be a thank you note.  The type of thank you note that is cherished for it’s depth and sincerity of gratitude.

I'm reading: On sunsets and other gifts..Tweet this!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It really is beautiful. Glad is held everyone almost speechless.

leah said...

Gorgeous, sister. :) I love your posts. Each and every one. :)

Debbie Long said...

Amen.

Giggles said...

What a wonderful reminder. Thank you.

Stopping by from MMB.