Better then Gray's...

October 31, 2007

So I'm in the bathroom, busy with the thrilling experience of the home hair dye job when I hear Gracie and Finny rushing breathlessly up the stairs:
Finny: (great consternation) Oh my WOID (word) OH MY WOID!!!
Gracie: It's ok Honey! It's going to be OK!  OK Finny!! we've got to get her upstairs, she is going to need surgery.
Finny: Oh my gosh! Oh my WOID!
Gracie: Yes her head is cracked open....... It will be OK honey (an aside to whomever's head is cracked open ..it would seem from the description given later to the paramedics that it is the much beloved yet hideously unattractive orange haired doll whose arm is also, in fact, falling off-she's had a hard life, poor thing)
Finny: Oh MY WOID!!
Gracie: Ok so get her onto my bed. Let's see what we can do for her.Hmmmm..... I will call the Dr.
Finny: It''s Ok honey, the Dr. will be here soon, it's going to be alright.
Gracie: (On the phone). Hi. We've got a girl here, she cracked her head open. She's really scared, you need to come right away... (Pause)  YES I knw what to do and I'm working really hard on her here but you need to get here, there is only so much I can do! (Pause) What do you mean you've got something else to do? You have got to GET HERE NOW! (Pause)
Yeah..ok...bye.
Me: SO??!!! WHAT?  ARE THEY COMING???!!!
~~~silence~~~~
Finny: Close the door Gracie.
No, they actually do not watch TV hospital drama so I'm not sure where this is coming from but I tell you, it's compelling stuff.  I was completely swept away there for a moment. I think it is so funny that Finny especially is already so self conscious about me listening in on their little scenarios. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall for all of them. A fly with a video recorder.
Posted at 10:33 PM | Permalink

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54ee69349883400e54f71ba868833
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Better then Gray's...:

Comments

Melissa
Definitely better than Grey's! Thanks for the laugh this morning!
Posted by: Melissa | November 01, 2007 at 09:10 AM

Julie
Folklore scholars would point to this example as framing play and context. If an adult is present, it removes the context of play, and therefore eliminates the make-believe aspect. That's why Finny told Gracie to shut the door.
Told ya I was ready for that folklore question!!!
Posted by: Julie | November 01, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Kirsty
Man I knew that I was smart somewhere deep down, or maybe it is just hanging with you. I was actually going to add to that entry that I thought that me being around interfered with the suspension of disbelief but it messed with the flow of the story. You're so ready for that folklore question that even your friends are ready for it.
Posted by: Kirsty | November 01, 2007 at 02:20 PM

Kirsty
Thanks Melissa and thanks also for leading to me the light that it is spelled Grey's, but did you know that Gray's Anatomy text which the name is played off of, is spelled with the "a" and I have that book, which is why I misspelled. It of course has nothing to do with the fact I can never figure out how to spell grey. I think it is one of those American english vs. Actual English things :P
Posted by: Kirsty | November 01, 2007 at 02:25 PM

I'm reading: Better then Gray's...Tweet this!

0 comments: