Look for the helpers..be the helpers..

helpers
I have been crying on and off all day over today’s news.  I have found great comfort in the quote above.
The sense of helplessness and empathetic grief is overwhelming when we try to imagine how the families of those who were at that school today must be suffering. 
Tragically, painfully we cannot change what happened today. But we can maybe feel just slightly less helpless by looking forward to what we can do to save other children. The truth is that we can easily save hundreds of lives of children who will die tomorrow without our attention and the insanely affordable resources that so many of us can provide with little to no sacrifice. We can ALL be the helpers. And we can save many, many other innocent children’s lives. Right now, tonight. Without changing laws.
I feel that there is no greater way to honor the beautiful, innocent lives lost so senselessly and needlessly today than to save the beautiful innocent lives that will be lost tomorrow for want of just a few dollars. I find my grief and panic has been soothed slightly by looking at sites like Unicef,Worldvision, Heifer.org (and so many others) who give easy, affordable and practical ways to save 100's of children's lives for less than $50. Medication, nutrition, rehydration kits, vaccinations and mosquito nets...if we all gave up just one gift or luxury this season in honor of today's victims we could make a stunning, stunning change for good in the world. My love and sincerest prayers go out to everyone who is grieving tonight.  Below are some ideas or organizations, I do not endorse any of them over another,  please support whomever you feel will do the most good whether or not they are listed below. Let’s just go forth and do good.
Click on any photo or link below to help…

Unicef

Oxfam
Mosquito nets
Worldvision

Heifer.org

LDS Humanitarian Services

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."
-I heard the Bells on Christmas Day: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
bethechange

I'm reading: Look for the helpers..be the helpers..Tweet this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Kirsty. Thank you xoxo

michelle said...

Unbelievable sad but I loved your quote and your idea. Thanks for moving people to action, turning them into "helpers" rather than just bystanders!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful idea Kirsty. Thank you for the quote at the top. I needed to hear that. Love,
Carolyn

Kenny said...

At times like this we all feel so powerless, but there really is so much good we can do in the world. Thank you for reminding us. And that is my absolute favorite Christmas song, though the lyrics have never spoken to me more than they do now.

Thalia Randall said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That was such a positive way to respond to this terrible thing that happened. Thank you.