Where was I? Ah...Cape Town!

Back to white people enjoying themselves...

So the next day my sister and I being the kugels that we are, flew to Cape Town and left the others to find there way there via un-conditioned car. I took this picture of Table Mountain from the plane. It's the mountain I had on my countdown ticker.

Img_8251_2

This is the story of South Africa. Nice big houses, plenty of pools..

Img_8257

A moment or two I snapped this shot...

Img_8258

Aaron informs me this is a stripped mine. I just like the countours.

Img_8255

Sweet note awaiting us at the lovely house we stayed in. Why the blur? I don't know.

Img_8272

Gorgeous little pool in the backyard

Img_8277

Very comfy beds. I slept SO well here.

Img_8267

That night Shona and I went out to the V&A Waterfront. These guys were performing. They got the biggest tip of their career and sold a copy of their CD. This is what it is like when you busk anywhere near my sister. We had a lovely seafood dinner together and saw a movie which Shona slept through very peacefully.

Img_8279

The next day..we walked to the beach

Img_8289

As you can tell, it was late when we finally got there. (The car people had only arrived at 5am or so)

Img_8290

Watched this seal body surfing for a while. He was so cute and funny (once more bemoan the bad timing of my new camera, once again comfort myself that I would have smashed it instead of the old one if I'd had it.)

Img_8305

Seth running into the surf. I'm not sure why this picture turned out like a bad black and white photocopy, but I think it's pretty cool.

Img_8306

Thalia, mom and me flaunting our gorgeous pedicures. Today as I wiggled my toes clad in tights I decided there was nothing more tragic then a gorgeous French pedicure in the Ohio winter. Totally wasted.

Img_8323

Me and my little sibs. Thalia, Seth and Luke. Luke returned from his mission for our church to Zimbabwe a couple of days before Shona and I arrived in South Africa.

Img_8338

Seth with the waterfront in the background.

Img_8348

My parents are cute. And don't you think my mom is pretty?

Img_8341

Img_8340

Img_8342

The next day..was started in this trying manner by pool

Img_8354_2

When everyone was finally ready, we went to Fish Hoek beach. This is the beach which our house overlooked when we lived in Cape Town. Seth and I would come here every day and swim way way wayyy out (aged 3 and 7) and were happily, not eaten by sharks. I used to think my mom was neurotic but now I think not so much. Click here if you want to see Fish Hoek via live-cam. The weather does not look as though it was great today. Which is good because as I type this I watch sub zero winds blowing the snow around in a frenzy.

We watched the fishing boats coming in and out..

Img_8357

Img_8359

Img_8363

Img_8366

Img_8372

Seth and I reliving the glory days. Is there anything more soothing then digging in the sand?

Img_8373

Jellies!

Img_8375

More fish tales...

Img_8377


Img_8380

Whoever is on the beach and inclined to get involved brings in the catch.


Img_8383

Po Fishies. These are yellow tails for obvious reason.

Img_8384

Img_8386

They are strong and feisty :(

Img_8392

Img_8393

Img_8400

The view of our old house from the beach. I think my bedroom was the 3rd window over, except it didn't have balcony then. Even at age 7, I appreciated the view.

Img_8406

Thalia and I went for a walk along the catwalk and stopped at Skellies Pool. Where we struck balletic and yoga poses much to the amusement of the teenage boys passing by.

Img_8415

Img_8417

It was sooooo cold in those pools!

Img_8421

This seemed to invigorate Thalia.

Img_8426

Shona and Marc, blending nicely with the blues.

Img_8405

Dusk

Img_8432

And we had dinner at the cafe at the beach.

Img_8437

Where this photo was taken...

Img_8442

By my sister's best friend and our neighbour when we lived in Fish Hoe), Judy. Shona spotted her on while we were on the catwalk but wasn't 100% sure even after I yelled "Judy" randomly and she looked up and smiled. When we saw her again at the cafe, we knew she was the one! This would not be such a great coincidence if we had not bumped into her on the beach the last time we were all in Fish Hoek, when I was pregnant with Benjamin 10 years ago. So much changes every time I go back home, so this sort of thing makes me happy. I found Fish Hoek in general, remarkably and comfortably unchanged. Just as I remembered and loved it. I would love to live there again.

Img_8446

Tomorrow...Happy Feet!!!

I'm reading: Where was I? Ah...Cape Town!Tweet this!

0 comments: