We survived New Beginnings Evening....



The girls did very well. We did an adapted version of a program found at jennyphillips.com.
We sang two lovely songs, listened to several narratives and each of the girls shared what they had committed to do to be "an example of the believers" this year. I often feel grateful that my kids will have this type of direction and purpose in their lives and friends to share it with. It is tough to be a teenager.

Along with being a light as an example to others, I spoke about being a keeper of the light within ourselves. Nurturing it, protecting it and feeding it, so that we can feel light (and lighter) and joy, and also, so that we can see and discern with light. It's really only then that we can exude light for others to see. It always comes back to what's inside of you doesn't it? You can't share what's not there.

The girls painted a lighthouse backdrop and we had a picnic on the beach theme. Chicken salad croissants, chips, punch, and a light-house cake made by my talented counselor Melissa.

Shockingly, I did not have time to take many photos. I am sad not to have a shot of the too- cute gift bags which I laboured over rather intensively. (To see them you would not understand why, but it is a long, convoluted tale of what one will go through to stay in budget.)


It was a lot lower key then last year, maybe not quite as pretty, definitely not as fancy, (I never posted photos of last year's extravaganza so here's a taste. By cultural hall standards it was pretty sweet,check out the cake Tiffany made)....



..but as I was still cleaning up an extremely sticky floor at 9:30pm last night, I felt a deep sense of gratitude for lower key. And for helpful counselors. (I have 2 of them! And 3 advisers now too! It is So Exciting).

I also felt a deep sense of gratitude that it is over.

The lighthouse picture with the 2009 theme above, is an adaptation of the invitation that I made for hand-outs. Feel free to lift it if you like.

I'm reading: We survived New Beginnings Evening....Tweet this!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Hi Kirsty--

I didn't know where to leave this comment, so I'll drop it here since this is the first place you're likely to see it. Anyhoo--I just wanted to say thank you for your sweet comment the other day in regards to my cacao problem. I did make all the cookies and now the dough is outta my freezer! Thank you!

Your writing is hilarious, thoughtful, and insightful, whether it's a comment or your own post. I can only imagine what you're like in person! :-)

Have a great rest of your week!

P.S. Thanks so much for the compliments on my little family!

Krista

Stephanie said...

Kirsty, you astound me. I bow in reverence...and miss you so much!

Kirsty said...

Aww, thanks friends, you made my day! Backatcha, backatcha...
xo

jmt said...

Without muddling a lovely post with muddy thoughts, I'll just keep it simple and say that you it's wonderful that you realize the opportunity you give your children to have "believing" as a backdrop (if they choose it) for the years ahead. :)