Which way do you swing?

Left or right?
Relax, I am not launching into politics again. I'm talking your brain. We were discussing this in my "playgroup" and I realized I had no idea. If I were to guess, I would say it was whichever one is really bad at Maths and good with words. (Turns out Math and words are on the same side. What??!) Whichever one loves creativity and all the tiny pretty details, but none of the details on an Excel spreadsheet. Hmmm.....

Whichever one likes people to write down directions in WORDS and not draw me maps. Maps are meaningless nonsense to me. They make nice art. Once when I was a marketing intern, I went on a trip to Florida with my very irritable, short-tempered and impatient boss. I was designated navigator. He would thrust a map at me, and seriously, he'd may as well given me a scroll covered in cuneiform.

I had no freaking idea what, where or how I was looking at that thing. So I did what any clueless and terrified intern would do-I just guessed. He would say, "so do I turn left up ahead?" and I would take a 50/50 shot at it and "say...ummm...yeeeees...I think so... " This went on for a while and miraculously we did not get lost, and then we did and he glanced over at me in outrage and disgust and bellowed that I was looking at the map upside down. True story.

(I'm not a drinking woman and hanging with drunks is not my idea of a good time, but the one time I was really grateful for booze was on that trip. A few beers with dinner would make him almost human to me and it gave me strength to face the next day and the next map.)

Btw, my friend Janet will attest that I am not that hot at navigation even when there are words involved. What can I say I am navigationally challenged. I think I actually have brain damage in some areas of my brain. I'm not even kidding.

Also, can I just mention here that the whole referencing North and West and such here is such a foreign concept to me. In South Africa we do not reference direction in every day conversation. Here you guys reference it so much I often feel like we are speaking different languages. When someone tells me to go the west side of the building I am just as likely to show up at the south side. Unless the sun is setting. Then I'm good. You've got to be sympathetic, I've only been here for like...14 years.

Anyway I took this quiz and came up with this.













Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 8(8)
Right Brain Dominance: 13(13)
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz



Further explained here. (I got the dancer to change directions after I looked away and read something, and looked back at her. ) Fascinating grey blob, the brain.

Do you know if you are leftie or a rightie? If you take the quiz do you agree with the results?


I'm reading: Which way do you swing?Tweet this!

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Hey Babe,

The male brain schematic is spot on. I am left brain dominant. Not sure what that means, but there you go. Love you.

MrsM said...

According to your test I am right brained. On some tests I end up being left brained. No matter what test I always end up scoring about 50/50. Maybe that just means I'm indecisive!

jmt said...

I'll have to take this quiz tonight when I get home. :) I love the upside down map story. Very nice. Good work.

Eos Mom said...

That was fun, apparently I am left-brain-dominant. Funny, I don't consider myself detail-oriented, yet I'm not instinctive or imaginative so there you go. And that dancer was driving me crazy because I couldn't get her to turn, I then I did and she wouldn't turn back the other way. I love it! Thanks for the fun!

Rosana V. said...

that was fun! i am left brain...congrats too on the mom logic nomination!

if you have a moment, feel free to check me out as well

http://chroniclesofmomnia.blogspot.com

look forward to more blog posts!