Jiving With Your Daily 5

I'm talking about how to make the 5 a day vege thing a reality over at Modern Molly Mormons today.

Whenever we go to Subway and I watch the "sandwich artists" at work, cramming all manner of goodness into one little sandwich, I am reminded that it is all about just having it all ready to go and accessible.

I really think that most of the time when I grab junk food it's just because it's easier to grab then the healthier stuff, not because I'm craving it. How about you? Good news is the healthy stuff can be just as accessible (and appealing when you are starving), with a bit of forethought and prep, and if we make it a habit in our homes, our kids are more likely to do the same.

Childhood obesity is becoming epidemic, it's something I find very tragic especially because it is so preventable, and I think a lot of it has to do with lack of nutrition education and kids just not having easy access to fresh fruit and vegetables the way they do to chips and cookies.

Go check it out and tell me what you think.

I'm reading: Jiving With Your Daily 5Tweet this!

2 comments:

Lynn Kellan said...

So true, prepping some fruits and veggies so that they're ready to go always saves the day... although those donuts sure are tempting!

jmt said...

Without even checking out the link, I AGREE. The access is the key ingredient, I believe. It's why I've tried very hard to get my kids addicted to fruits and veggies, never mind what I do. ;) I am a lost cause in the arena of food and health, (addicted to pizza and such, you know) but my boys love fruit and when asked what he wants for dinner, my 4 year old asks for peas and carrots. I give him a high five for that. (Dad and 11 year old groan.)