Peer Pressure


A funny thing happens when I talk to my family on skype. I will do whatever they tell me to do. There' s a whole "do it! do it!" mob mentality thing going on and I get all kinds of swept away and I make bad choices.

Today's bad choice: Drink a luke-warm cup of water with 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper dissolved within.

While I drank and gasped and gagged and cried over the burns around my mouth and all down my esophageal tract, and burped loudly, and announced my intention to vomit, my family (consisting in this case of my dad and his sister, my aunt) cackled and jeered.

They claim this is some kind of healing miracle. And that I should do it daily.

They say they do this every day (except my dad and aunt are not purists and they take their cayenne pepper dissolved in a tablespoon of boiling water with a plain lukewarm cup of water as a chaser). They claim this is a far preferable method. Mmmmm...yummy. They say if I'd done it their way it would have been an awesome experience.

I just want to take this opportunity to say, kids, listen to your heart. If it sounds like a bad idea, if that little voice inside of you is saying, "no, this does not sound like something that will end well for me", LISTEN TO THAT VOICE. It will not steer you wrong. Your dad and your aunt however, may well do so. For their own entertainment purposes.

I love skype. It so rocks my world.

I'm reading: Peer PressureTweet this!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Too funny, my little voice in my head, who usually leads me right, said no way. You are a good person for at least trying. Better than me.

Jen Lynn said...

Do you think that would make a baby come any sooner?

alpinekleins said...

I have got to figure out the skype thing, I'll have two kids in two different states, maybe it will calm my heart - gonna figure it out :)

Kristin

jmt said...

I meant to google skype...I still have no idea what it is. I'm sorry you got burned by your dad and aunt...LOL It sounds like they're really fun though. Always an upside....

~ Keara said...

Uh, I was going to say "what were you thinking?!" but I too, am vulnerable to peer pressure, not so much from my family but from certain of my friends. Well, I'm glad that you survived. And learned your lesson. And passed that lesson on to the rest of us. (And hopefully to your children.) *wink*

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Ick ... did you end up puking? :)

Anonymous said...

My cousin told me that she puts cayenne pepper inside a gel cap and takes it when she feels a cold coming on. She swears by it but I've never even dared trying that!