Hold me?



















My baby is officially in school as of today. He drove me nigh unto distraction waiting for the appointed hour. To the point that I was quite looking forward to it myself. Until we stepped out the door hand in hand, and my stomach sank.

Here he is with his freshly kissed kissing hand.


In the end he did become quite anxious
that I smooch his kissing hand. He seemed ambivalent about it at first, so I was thrilled to oblige.


Along the way we picked up our friends Thompson and his mom. How cute are they holding hands?!


C'mon mommy! What's taking so long!


Happily, I was able to spend some quality time with my Sharpie and we came better prepared.

I have to say, I got a lump in my throat and I got teary but I coped without the aide of tranquilizers and/or forcible removal.

I felt really bad for the poor mom who was trying to smile brightly at her kid who was giving her the most beseeching looks this side of a cocker spaniel. She was dying, her eyes were welling, triggering mine. Nobody cries alone in my presence. I think maybe the hardest part of being a mom is pretending all is well when it's not and you want to cry just as hard as your kid is. I told her to leave rather then prolonging the agony for everyone. Apparently this was good advice as Finny reported that the kid dried up pretty immediately. Nothing like seeing your mom so near yet so far and sensing her anxiety when you have so much of your own. I remember it well. Agony.

While he was gone I realized that since today was his first day, the inevitable baking cookies alone experience was upon me. And you know what? Things went quite a bit faster. And less messy. Funny how that is. It made me a little sad though.

I sat on the front step and watched my little foursome come home. Finny was closely flanked by Gabe and Gracie. He could barely breathe for all the sibling protection.

But when he saw me, he managed to extricate himself with a delighted, "MOMMY!!"

Suffice to say, my heart was warmed.

He then held court describing the events of the day including, "this cute, CUTE little girl, who comes up to 'here' on me!" After which he opened a gift from another cute little girl who has a massive and unabashed crush on him. What can I say? Who can blame the chick?

I think he's going to be just fine. Not sure about me yet, but you do what you have to do. Sniff.

I'm reading: Hold me?Tweet this!

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh what a sweet big boy he is....Happy first day, Finny...and ((hugs)) to you, momma!!

Unknown said...

I love the pic of them walking Finny home. That was the dream I had for my children...all of them tightly knit...but noooo...if someone falls and slows down the pack they're left for the wolves...something to work on I guess.
I love that he is already getting gifts. Megy came home on Tuesday with a note that said "I Loove Yuu Megan" and the boys phone number. We told Megy no boyfriends until 6th grade. She came home yesterday and said she dumped him. Today someone new wants to marry her. I guess when there is 3 boys for every girl proposals are gonna happen!

Megan Gery said...

that sibling protection picture is priceless!

warmfuzzies said...

awwwwwee....That was sweet. brought tears to my eyes. I was like that too with my 2 older ones. They are going back on Mnday for the first time in awhile since we homeschooled last year. I am anxious about it and they are 3rd and 4th grades now!! I have a brand new baby at home too and I will have to do this all over again in a few years. eek! I am sad because the school has a new rule that parenst can't walk the kids to class anymore as the parenst talk too much and the teachers can't start class on time. I have to say goodbye at the drop off now. *sniffles* The kids are super excited though.

April Kennedy said...

There's a lump in my throat. Just seeing the pics of him running to you.

Blake started his crying fit today on my sister when she tried to leave him at his school door. He wanted to go with them to school today. She left bawling because he was crying. I'll never do that to her again. I'll just call her crying when I leave him crying. Oh the joys of being a mom!

What are you going to do with your free time....well maybe just time?

LunaMoonbeam said...

Complete with cookies and milk after?? Mama, can I trade places with Finny, just for a day???

Lynn Kellan said...

I love how Finny's hair was combed when he began the day, but when he came home it was properly rumpled.

You did a great job surviving the first day of school!

The K Family said...

Such a sweet blog Kirsty! My little man is starting in about another week. I'm sure I'll be running through the same emotions as you did.

Chief said...

Such a cute little dude! I found you from MMB! I will follow and be back soon!

Jen VH said...

It seems like yesterday we were nursing the boys together in our living room, and now they are kindergarteners. INSANE. I told Alex last night I still had not decided if I would let him go or not. He was totally unfazed and said, "You will, Mama, you will." Alex starts this Thursday. I will bake him cookies, too, if I can find the cookie sheets in all the packing.

Janet said...

Aww, glad he had a great day. I love the picture of him surrounded by his siblings on the way home. Good job, Mama!

Anonymous said...

I suggest (if you have not already started doing so) that you pray nightly that you will love his wife to bits because I suspect you are going to be like a Rotweiller about letting this one go! Such cute pics. He is a heart breaker as are they all (no, not biased, just have good eyesight in spite of my advanced age).
Marmie.

Dahling said...

Glad Finny had a great first day at school, and you survived your first morning as an empty nester ! I am sure it will make homecoming time even sweeter....

The Redhead Riter said...

Adorable child...time flies doesn't it?