WFMW: Secret Productivity Weapons


Wow, it's been a while. Mostly because I have been trying to get to bed earlier these days, but I do miss my WFMW posts so we sacrifice a little sleep. (Truthfully? I was up attempting to organize my life anyway.) Not to undermine the sacredness of WFMW in any way of course.

So here's the thing. You know Flylady? Of course you do. And you know how she is all obsessed with wearing shoes? I'm totally with her on that. Totally. That chick knows what she is talking about. If I am walking around my house barefoot I feel totally unempowered. It's true. Once I have on my running shoes, I am queen of the manor. I can do hard things.

My WFMW today is the hand equivalent of shoes. I speak of course of rubber gloves. It may seem obvious to many of you but many people do not use rubber gloves to wash dishes or clean. Apart from being tough on your hands and nails, this slows you down. If I want to get stuff done. I put on my gloves. Not only does this protect my hands from hot water and chemicals but it also protects them from getting scratched and scuffed up and I can really get into whatever I am doing. It also makes goopy gross stuff no hindrance at all. Next time you try to clean your kitchen without gloves, notice how gingerly you handle everything and how much more quickly and capably you could get everything done wearing rubber gloves. Not to mention, the grip you have on wet or even dry glasses and plates is greatly enhanced. I really can't stress how much time and energy I save with just a pair of rubber gloves. (If you want them to be all purty and fabulous like the ones above, you can find them here. For big jobs though I recommend, utilitarian and thick ones. But those are fun for dishes or light cleaning.

And since we are talking about hands here's a bonus for you good people. When I was first married my mom gave me a housecleaning book by Don Aslett, a professional cleaner/author dude. I remember him saying that you should never use one hand when you could be using two. Today I scrubbed the acres and acres of white linoleum flooring in my kitchen. I usually use my beloved Shark steam mop but there comes a time in the life of every white floor, especially white floor with some insane dirt grabbing texture, when it needs a good old fashioned hands and knees scrubbing. I started off scrubbing with a rough sided sponge. This was slow. Then I went to the store and grabbed a real scrubbing brush. This one to be exact. But I did not get just one, I got two! Instead of leaning on one hand while scrubbing with the other I now get to scrub with both simultaneously. It's a strain on my coordination but with determination concentration and practice I have managed to get the hang of it. Amazingly enough, two scrubbing brushes work twice as fast as one. Whoduthunkit??!

I'm reading: WFMW: Secret Productivity WeaponsTweet this!

14 comments:

Col @ life by muse said...

Two scrubbing brushes? WOW, you're good lol! I would like to see your technique, I wonder if I have the coordination to pull that one off!

Lynn Kellan said...

Wow! I'm afraid to check my floor. I suspect it'll need 3 brushes to return it to it's original glory.

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

We are sisters, I think :) I love my dish gloves and scrub brush. I have NEVER used two so that will be something that I spring for on my next trip to the store. Good tips!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Oops, I meant to add my little tip with dish gloves. I have dry hands ever since I had the boys and wash them CONSTANTLY so I rub vaseline on my hands, put on the dish gloves and get to cleaning. The warm water mixed with the vaseline makes my hands oh so soft ;)

No I wasn't Sleeping said...

ooh, using two brushes, you might actually be combatting alzheimers with all that brain practice.
I think my 15 month old has been reading flylady, because lately every time he sees my shoes he brings them to me to put on. I am starting to get the hint!

chiara said...

I am all about the scrub brush for my fiberglass shower pan. It doesn't get truly clean unless you use a scrub brush and some Soft Scrub (as much as I had using non-environmentally friendly stuff, that Soft Scrub is like magic).

Rachel R. said...

I'm one of those awful people who never uses rubber gloves. ;)

Seriously, how can you tell what you're doing? I can't feel a thing with rubber gloves on.

Unknown said...

I totally picture you doing the wax on wax off thing fron Karate Kid!

Marci said...

I am just the same! I don't get much done without putting on my running shoes. I hadn't thought about my gloves, though. I'm a cleaning machine with them on; it just had never crossed my mind!

'Becca said...

I'm with Rachel! I clean much better with my bare hands because I can feel whether I've gotten all the gunk off. Click my name for an article that includes a cheapskate hand-moisturizing tip. :-)

I guess there are people who work better with gloves and people who work better without...but the important thing is identifying YOUR secret productivity weapons and using them! I like your tip about two scrub-brushes.

nyn said...

I am just now catching up on all your blog entries since your kiddos started school. I started school myself this last week so things have been a bit crazy around here. As usual I love your posts, I especially loved the labeling one, OH MY WORD, sometimes I wonder if we were seperated at birth. Amazing what we learn after years of doing it the other way. Way to go on getting the right letters and thanks for the advice about cleaning gloves. I have never used them but my Mom always did. I should really give it a shot, at least for my hands sake. Love you!

Jean Stockdale said...

Great info. Good tips. Thanks for sharing. blessings.

jmt said...

You sound way too excited about cleaning. I wish I could come over and tell you to stop, think about what you're blogging, and go get some ice cream. And shoes in the house while you're working??? If I have my shoes on, I instantly want to leave the house and go do something fun. :) Happy Monday!

Moore Minutes said...

I have those exact gloveables! :) They are so fun! Ok, short story: I was wondering tonight why I haven't seen your posts in awhile in my blog reader...so I scrolled down to see, ONLY to notice I wasn't following you! lol...wow. This whole time I thought I was and I've missed seeing your blog....anyways... :D