Enduring it well...

Today we lost a dear friend. A remarkable wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, mentor. She was a quiet, consistent and powerful example to me in so many ways. Her life, while filled with many joys, was not an easy one by any means. In lots of ways from the outside looking in, it was straight-up hard. I can't imagine the strength it must have taken to live her life in her circumstances in the exemplary manner that she did. I was always in awe of that. Inspired.

But now she has passed on to a much better place. That phrase can sound trite but I can picture it, and there is no doubt in my mind that she is having a glorious day today. Her life here on earth, a life of service, sacrifice, love and the constant quest to do the best she could against all odds, is now over, and I know that none of her suffering or struggles were in vain. Those that knew her can have no doubt that she is experiencing a peace and joy unimaginable in magnitude.
.."eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.." (1 Corinthians 2:9)

And suddenly....watching someone triumphantly cross the finishing line of the ultimate marathon makes all the struggles to get there shrink in comparison. The things that we have to endure. They are really but for a short moment. As long and painful as those moments may seem here, when we are in the midst of them...they are short, they are finite. What follows is eternal. And I know her eternity will be beautiful.

..and if they hold out faithful to the end, they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness..." (Mosiah 2:41)

Thank you Sandy for being an example of enduring to the end. With grace and righteousness and goodness, with kindness, and compassion and excellence. You leave a beautiful legacy in your wonderful family and the many, many lives you touched in so many positive and meaningful ways. Including mine. You give me hope and inspiration. Thank you so much.

We'll see you later...

I'm reading: Enduring it well...Tweet this!

10 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Sorry for your loss. But I agree with you: our departed loved ones are in a better place, and I even though we miss them now, I know we'll see them again!
Happy New Year

Meg said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Eternal Lizdom said...

She's obviously left a lovely, inspiring, and hopeful legacy. I feel how blessed you are to have known her.

Jen Lynn said...

WHAT??????OMGsh that was so fast. I don't even know what happened.

Jules said...

This is beautiful, Kirsty. I'm still a little in shock and so sad for Laura's family. Please give Laura a big hug for me next time you see her.

Laura Harris said...

Kirsty,

Thank you so much for your kind words about my Mom! She will certainly be missed, but I know that she is in a happier place with all the loved ones that passed before her.

Lots of Love!

~Laura

Janet said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a lovely lady who left behind a great legacy.

Megan Gery said...

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words (more beautifully than I ever could have) with this post. I'll miss Sandy, as I'm sure everyone else will, but her example to me endures and strengthens me every time I think of her.

Working Mommy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with the loss of a friend!

~WM

Anonymous said...

These things are so abnormal and can be so hard to deal with. I hope that your family will be able to cope during this sad time. You will be in my prayers.

My best, Lynn