...

It's been light on the posting this week no? I have not been feeling like myself.

A woman I know was killed coming out of the grocery store in my small town on Monday evening. She was just doing what I do almost every single day, what I did earlier that day in fact, making the same turn after the same average shopping trip, and then it was over.

She was my age, she has two little boys in kindergarten. They went to preschool with Finny. She was always smiling, friendly. Extremely petite. She was a lovely, pretty, vibrant woman. Clearly a doting mother who had endured the loss of twin daughters and the premature birth of these twin sons. She was about to finish up her PhD and had been accepted into a prestigious academic honour society on the day that she died. It was probably a really exciting and happy day for her. And then it was over.

She was killed by an elderly driver who ran a red light. He caused a five car accident. He survived but this young mother of course, did not. I have much to say on this topic but I don't have the stomach for controversy or debate this week so I will keep it off the blog for now.

I did not know her well, I cannot call her a friend. I saw her daily but just in passing. But I have been deeply affected by this. I can't quite articulate how . It's just been a sad, weird week. I am heartbroken for her family and close friends. I have faith in an after life, I know that there is so much more then this life, I have faith that we can be with our families forever. These things bring me comfort and perspective.

But I also know that this life is not one that a child should have to live without a mommy. Or a man without his loving spouse. This life is tough and when you are five, there should be a mommy. When you are 35 you should get to be the mommy. There is no escaping that this is hard and horrible.

Tomorrow will be her funeral. I bet she had plans on her calendar for this Friday, for this Spring weekend with her family....

I don't know how I want to end this. I don't have anything pithy or trite to say to tie it all up. It sucks. Please keep this family in your prayers. That is all.

I'm reading: ...Tweet this!

19 comments:

Sheila said...

OMG! How awful! I will definietly keep this family in my prayers!

Unknown said...

That is so tragic. I will pray for the family. It has been a week of bad new, it seems. One of my best friends father just lost his battle with cancer two days ago. I am heartbroken for my friend and for his family...his mother who has lost her best friend, he and his sister who have lost their loving father, and my friend's son and soon to be born niece, one of whom loved his grand daddy so and one who will never know him. The saddest part being that he was not a believer.
Just a sober reminder to live life intentionally. Love your family...make sure you tell them each day and never become so busy that you forget to do these things!

Lisa said...

This is awful and tragic. Unfortunately, it happens a long. We had to take my Grandma's license away. It's funny that the state would continue to give her one. She was dangerous to others and to herself. It was just for the best. She is still resentful...But at least she didn't kill anyone.

Kel said...

What an awful tragedy. My biggest fear is that my children would for some reason have to grow up without me. To know of so many families that have to do just that, completely breaks my heart. My prayers are being sent!

Julia said...

How tragic! You articulated very well how you feel and how difficult it will be for this mom's family. My daughter's friend just died of cancer leaving 7 & 8 year old children. My cousins lost their dad when the youngest was only 3, then their mom when he had just turned 12. My mom stepped in to be "mom" to the two who were still at home, but no one can take the place of a person's mom.

Steph said...

This is so, so sad. Life is so fragile, we just never know what's going to happen. Death is always tough, but especially so when it is unexpected and a young person. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and with you.

Anonymous said...

so sad :( We have a friend who recently found out his sister in law, who is in her forties and has two young daughters, has inoperable brain cancer and only has a couple months to live. Life is so very precious and stores like these make us all realize how important it is to live each day to the fullest.

Bridgett said...

Kirsty- I didn't know her either, but I have been thinking about this all week. Especially last night as I was leaving Kroger at the same exact time as her accident happened. So sad, and I have been thinking about and praying for her family all week. Makes us all remember to count our blessings every day, because you never know when it will be your last one. Hugs and happy thoughts to you, sweet lady!

Brittany said...

I hate when this happens. It is so sad. I'm sorry for your loss and for her family's loss, as well.

LunaMoonbeam said...

This is a topic that's been on my mind today, actually. What would I do if my Lo Gung was taken from me? What he do if I was taken from him?

You summed it up perfectly - it would suck.

Hugs to you, and prayers to your neighbors!!

Jen Lynn said...

WOW!

April Kennedy said...

So so sad. It does remind me though to cherish each day. I hate those reminders but are grateful for them too. Hang in there.

chiara said...

Very sad :(

I had a similar experience with the Chelsea King thing - I didn't know her but she lived just a couple towns away. I literally fell off the running wagon because of what happened to her.

It's never easy to deal with when someone's life is taken way too soon.

Beth P. said...

How awful. Absolutely terrible and sad and heartbreaking for her family. I suspect that many of us readers share your feelings about the drivers situation. Its terrible, but... well, this type of thing is what happens.

I'm so sorry!

TIFFANY said...

I am so sorry to hear about that! It's going to be a tough road ahead for her family. They will be in my prayers.

Tiffany said...

That is terrible. It just reminds us that our time here is not promised and we have to make every day a great. So sad.

Tiffany http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

Jill said...

I used to have a picture framed in my house that said "Remember Yesterday... Ponder Tomorrow but Live for Today" I think that sums up how we are all able to get through times like this. We've talked about this before...none of this is fair and it never will be... xxooo... Luckily this family has many people who love and care about them.

Gail said...

It does suck. Big time.
Will keep them in my prayers.

Joan said...

Hi Kirsty...two times I saw that you were on Skype yesterday but didn't want to bother you...now I know I should have checked in. I'm sorry. Needless, needless, needless tragedy! Chuck and I never know what's going on in BG! What a tragedy. I hope when we reach the age where we shouldn't drive (some may say that's now for me - haha)...that we know enough to quit! We're back but leave again today. Will call. xo Joan