A Finny First

Finny decided after “practising for YEARS…since I was FIVE” that yesterday was the appointed day on which he would brave the diving board.

Once up there he realised it was a better idea in theory…there was much nail chewing and hand wringing and eventually he turned back…

DSC_0011 DSC_0012 DSC_0014 DSC_0015 DSC_0016

But then big sister arrived on the scene…

DSC_0022

And gave him the type of pep talk that only a big sister can..

DSC_0023

 

Cheering him on from behind….

DSC_0024 DSC_0025

The big moment…when you push past the fear and just.do.it

DSC_0026

The agony..

DSC_0027

And the Ecstasy

DSC_0030

I’ve totally got this down, man.

DSC_0033 

 

DSC_0038

A much more confident jump but still scary enough to be a big thrill..followed by the triumphant swim to the side.

DSC_0040 DSC_0043  DSC_0052

Look mommy! Now I am going to do something fancy.

DSC_0061 DSC_0062 DSC_0081DSC_0075    DSC_0082 DSC_0083

Did you see?! Did you see that?

DSC_0076DSC_0051

I rock.

DSC_0080

I have watched each of my four kids achieve this milestone on this very diving board. It is always so exciting. I always feel such a vicarious mix of angst and eagerness. I always feel so much affection and gratitude for all the friends (both big and little) who stand around to cheer my littles on (and the perfect strangers too). It’s a community moment in the midst of this private heaven/hell for the would-be jumper.

This time was bitter-sweet because I knew it would be the last….sniff….gulp. Ouch. I think he was the youngest to do it too….sniff.

I guess I will just have to start looking forward to cheering him through the next set of scary-wonderful“firsts”. 

I'm reading: A Finny FirstTweet this!

7 comments:

paparazzimom said...

you so totally rock Finny-dude!


I do believe one of my children accomplished that very feat on that very diving board too when we came to visit! :)

MrsM said...

How super cool! Yay Finny! Our own Monkey is too scared to even put his face in the water while in the BATHTUB, let alone jump off anything into water that would cover his face.

Jill said...

I'm so disappointed I missed it! Way to go Finnster!

Moore Minutes said...

this post is priceless!! I JUST LOVED it! You captured every feeling and emotion. And I laughed when I saw him do his little trick after he gained confidence. TOO CUTE!

Janet said...

Awesome! Way to go, Finny!

Debbie said...

What a great experience and your photos are priceless! Yes, you will have many more firsts with this sweet boy.

Jessica said...

Awww....I love how you captured Finny's milestone!!!
WTG Finny!!