A weighty matter . Or why we are back on The Horrible HCG Diet again…


scale
Due to a medical issue, I have been unable to exercise vigorously since October.  That’s not good. A few weeks ago  I got tentatively back into it and was really enjoying myself when I hurt my back really a lot (in a non-exercise related Ella-dancing-with endeavour). That’s not good either.
Here’s what that equation looks like:
Lack of exercise+Winter Blues+”Coziness”+Endless Holidays=Weight Gain+ Sad+Uncomfy.
(I’m actually afraid to get on the scale to see exactly how much but from the way my clothes are fitting, I know it won’t be pretty.)
On Monday however, Aaron and I will once again toss fear (and happiness Winking smile ) to the wind and “commence to start” (Name That Movie) the HCG Diet again for a few weeks. You can follow our past trials and travails with it here, here, here here and here .  Suffice to say, I mostly hated the experience but it was effective and it is a solid (in my experience, though not from any professional standpoint) program to go on if you cannot exercise. The last time I did it, it was because I was injured and needed to lose weight in a hurry.  Now I am injured and would like a kick-start.  In my opinion/experience this is not a long term solution.
*****Disclaimer:As a trainer I am always, always going to recommend a more enjoyable, sustainable approach to weight loss involving a calorie restricted (but not VLCD) and exercise (heavy on the high intensity interval training). This is how I lost all my baby weight and then some after Finny and how I kept it off for several years until I had Ella. It works, it is healthy and you will be happier, healthier and a lot more likely to maintain your weight loss than if you go on a VLCD.  Basically what I am saying is, if you have other options (i.e you are not injured or otherwise unable to exercise-and unable is different from unwilling), you should take them.  Find yourself a trainer if you have issues with motivation or just don’t know where to start.
Aaron’s 40th birthday is at the end of March and we would both like to be several pounds lighter by then. I also want to be as light as possible before I get back into the exercise to lower the likelihood of re-re-reinjury (gah!!) ALSO:  Did you know how much more fun Summer is when you are fit and healthy? It’s more fun to be fit and healthy any time of the year, but never so much as in summer. I am greatly motivated by the prospect of Summer.
So because I would like summer (and life in general) to be more fun for us all-I’m toying with the idea of another Momedy (sketch Winking smile ) community challenge.  Remember this one? That was fun.   This time the prizes would include free personal training sessions with me (in person if you are local and virtually if you are not).   Would anyone be interested?  It would include accountability for both nutrition and exercise and some fun challenges. I know there are many, many programs like this on the web so if there is no interest, I will not be offended but I thought it might be a fun thing to get our minds off of the rest of February Winking smile

I'm reading: A weighty matter . Or why we are back on The Horrible HCG Diet again…Tweet this!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!

I am ready for more changes.

Bethany Hawkley said...

I'm not sure exactly what the HCG diet is but Travis and I have been doing no dairy, wheat, or sugars (of any kind including honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc). This is the second time I've done it for medical reasons and it is hard! It really limits food choices, especially snacking. But it works wonders for weight! I'm on it for another week and a half and then get to gradually add things back to my diet while trying to still make as healthy choices as possible. So I'm in this with you! You can do it!!!!

dawn h-s said...

::sigh::
If you insist.

Lucia said...

Your mom is going on HCG.

Arg! Kirsty, you could not have picked a worse time to go back on the HCG thing. It's like you knew I was giving up dessert for lent and timed it specifically so I couldn't taunt you with pictures of fluffy pink cupcakes. For the record, you may remember that I didn't eat the said pink cupcake, but this time I'm sure I wont have the willpower to fake eating a fluffy pink cupcake for the joy of texting it to you.

Dang. Why are you such a spoil sport?

Oh, but i'm up for your challenge thing, Jason is too.