Oh Happy Day!

Still with the crying. This morning Finny said, "hey guys do you know why mommy is crying". Then he looked at me and smiled and said, "I don't know". Although he can't articulate it and he can't possibly realize to what extent a true miracle has occurred, I think he senses why. Something unbelievably special has happened, and mommy is very very happy. Not much more then one hundred years ago, the man we now call the President elect could have been a slave. Just 45 years ago Martin Luther King gave a speech about a dream he had.

No matter what your political leanings, I cannot think how anyone could look upon the scene last night in Grant Park, that scene of love, unity, respect, understanding and tolerance, a scene where people of all races stood shoulder to shoulder and embraced each other with faces glowing with the joy of knowing where we have come from and where we are now, and the hope of what that means for the future. I cannot see how anyone can look on a scene like that and not imagine a loving God smiling down on it.



and for anyone who missed it



I have now been a part of two truly historic elections, elections based on almost unimaginable hope for the fruition of an event that few could truly imagine even a generation ago, even a year ago..even yesterday. I could not be more proud of the outcomes. And to quote a line from the classic Notting Hill. It's surreal, but nice. Oh so very nice.
Oh Happy Day!

I'm reading: Oh Happy Day!Tweet this!

2 comments:

Jen Lynn said...

So, are you excited about all of this?

I'll admit, I did get a little teary-eyed at the gym this morning when I watched a recap of the Obamas walking out as a family (the first black first family) onto the stage. That was pretty awesome.

nyn said...

Yes!! Congratulations President Obama and I was still weepy this morning too. How funny :) Thank you for the continually wonderful posts.