May Day! May Day! (the 2009 edition)

It was a full day, this first day of May.

There was the little matter of my baby growing irrevocably up in a heart-wrenchingly tangible way... and the picking out of the teacher gift for the occasion. He chose a very appropriate fun and funky wind chime for her garden (she has a very fun garden), he picked out a card, he picked out a gift bag, he picked out the tissue paper, he dictated the card to me:

Dear Muss Cindi, you are BEYOND AWESOME. I love you and will miss you so, so, so much. You are the best teacher in the whole, whole, white, white world (I wonder what imagery goes through his head when he says that.. probably lots of snow..it's only natural being a child of Ohio...). Love Jonathan" (he wrote the Jonathan himself, complete with the pre-schoolishly endearing backwards "n" and "a"s

Then the (mostly) internal weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth as teacher Cindi and I bemoaned the fact that for the first time in 5 years we would no longer be seeing each other on a twice daily basis...and then numb with the reality of the horror, I drove away for. the. last. time (until I come back next week for the "exit interview")...the agony.

Then the preschool picnic (with accompanying traditional freezing weather and rain-good times, good times..)

Then the soccer game in the rain. Ahhh..bracing.With the promise of more tomorrow-excellent.

(Add in there the going to the gym, four separate trips to the shops, the making of the May Day baskets /misshapen cones with ensuing chaos on the home front, the begging people to vote for me, the obsessing over whether the computer counted the votes, the attempting to express my gratitude to the people who voted for me...whew..it's time for bed man)

Here are the 3 children who took me to the preschool every day for the last 5 years neatly stuffed into a cubby with Muss Cindi. Benj The Outsider was courteously asked to step out of the frame. That's what you get for being 6 when we moved here. Tough break, kid.

And finally, the truly delightful moment of the day... the dropping off of the May day baskets. Where we get to make like we are criminals.

The sun came out to dry up all the rain and eensy weensy kiddies were out there once again...




Stealthy drop offs...
because not a soul will be able to figure out your identity, so long as you remain (mostly) unseen as you shriek at your sibling to "hurry up"
and your dad gets the getaway van fired up with 3-5 minutes of you ringing the door-bell..











All in all...a good start to this lovely month. It brings with it: May's flowers, my mom's birthday, my baby's birthday, Mother's Day and our anniversary.

She works hard for the money, May does.

I'm reading: May Day! May Day! (the 2009 edition)Tweet this!

6 comments:

Megan Gery said...

I'm glad I found your blog. I love your writing style! And I can't believe Finny is out of preschool. When we left BG he was just little... (tear)

MrsM said...

Awww, babies growing up! I know people say it all the time, but it happens WAY too fast.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what's with the ding dong ditch (of lovingly created presents)? Is that a family May Day tradition?

jmt said...

I decided yesterday that I will be starting the may day flower drop off tradition with my kids next year. one will be five, the other two...I think it'll be good times. :) I can't wait.

cat said...

Oh no! They grow up way too fast!

Lynn Kellan said...

Golly, I must live in a place full of grumps, 'cause nobody rings doorbells and leaves presents on May Day. Heck, nobody rings doorbells. Gotta re-think my habitat...In the meantime, I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm stalking - oops, I mean following you.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just happened on this delightful post - yes, yes I know. It is 18 months old, but I never SAW IT! The complicated way the internet works. I love it! You are SO funny. You make me proud!
Love,
Marmie.