Of twirly skirts, nativity sets and orchestral maneuvers...

Our church puts on this amazing event every year where people from all of our congregations in the area donate their nativity sets for the viewing pleasure of others (not permanently, you understand). They are artistically gathered in the cultural hall of one of our chapels and the effect is quite breathtaking. There are nativities from every corner of the world. From exquisite crystal to whimsical clay, grass, wire...everything you can imagine. It's there. Amazing. They are set up so creatively and the kids really enjoyed the scavenger hunt.


Find the shepherd wearing tennis shoes had them stumped. They were enthralled with it all for ages (especially Finny). They even had one of those crazy upside down Christmas trees absolutely covered with the most amazing little nativities from all over the world. (There it is behind us).



Much as I'd like it if we all moved around as a polished matching unit at all times I will confess that we were in our Christmas card photo attire here

Our infamous pal Nathan had come over just before we left to take our photo and to add to a pictorial series with the working title of: You, Me and DuPreez, wherein Nathan crashes our lovely formal family photos in completely inappropriate attire. The first in this series features Nathan standing next to us on Gabe's baptism day. We are all in church-wear, Aaron is in a full suit. Nathan is standing with us bare-chested, in swimsuit and sunglasses, eating a muffin. It's excellent. This is really how he showed up to take our photo. He rode his bike over. In the freezing cold.


Anyway, maybe you will see these all nicely arranged on a Christmas card at some time... or maybe not. Either way, how cute are my kids? Extremely, that's how.
And one of the princess because I fear the years of twirly skirts are numbered and I cherish each one..


I took these the other night. I take PJ pics every year. They make me happy.


And then there were some compromising shots taken by Benjamin of mommy kissing Santa Claus under the mistletoe in broad daylight. Scandalous. I might post them tomorrow so that he is not tempted to blackmail me.


In other cultural events of the past week, Benjamin's orchestra concert. He plays the cello. I had no idea how much he had learned, he is a bona fide little cellist now. It was so thrilling to watch him as part of a real orchestra. I think it is cool that he is only 11 but he has had so many interesting experiences that required practise and commitment to achieve. I have always wanted to be part of an orchestra. That's probably not going to happen, so I will live vicariously through my child. And no doubt pay for his therapy later.




Nativity Notes:

*I am thankful for Benj 'cause he lets me play with the Wii and he reads me books. Love, Finny

*I like daddy. He gets money for us. Love, Finny (He wrote this one all by himself.)

*I love Gabe because he walks with me to school every day, Love Gracie

* Gracie is awesome because she takes good care of the bunny and she is my only sister. I would be very sad if I didn't have a sister. Love, Gabe




I'm reading: Of twirly skirts, nativity sets and orchestral maneuvers...Tweet this!

10 comments:

julia said...

A great post. Your family is beautiful!!!!! I love the idea of the churches sharing their nativity sets for the viewing of all. Our church has been doing a big (for us anyway) live nativity the past few years. I had (got?) to make most of the costumes. What a year!!! My husband and I will be out of town for this year's production.

Jill said...

I love the Sayers because without them I would think families like this only exist in fairytales...

April Kennedy said...

Oh how I love your nativity notes. What a great idea. And our ward this year centered our Ward Christmas party around the Nativity. We too displayed many different Nativities around the cultural hall on display during dinner and then I put together a Nativity video that I will post on my blog tomorrow. It was such a special evening filled with fun and the Spirit!

Steph said...

Great pics! I miss the nativity festival...

Thalia Randall said...

Gorgeous pics! Where is the bare-chested muffin-eater?

Jen said...

Wow those nativities are amazing! And your family is just beautiful, I love your photo crasher - what a hoot :)

And as soon as my little ones are older we are stealing your Advent idea - I still LOVE that.

alpinekleins said...

Darling photos - especially all dressed up in Christmas best. The card is adorable!

Kristin

Janet said...

As someone who loves/collects nativities, I would absolutely love to see that display. And that family picture couldn't be any more perfect.

Loralee and the gang... said...

I missed the one they put on here, but I am definitely going to catch it next year!
:~D

jmt said...

Your clothes match, you are workout queen, your kids are adorable AND play the cello....

Too much. I'm so far behind and this is all too much.