Guess who is coming to (Valentine's)dinner?

Our family is getting a very special Valentines Day gift this year.

We met her today...(she plans to come home with us on Friday!)



Here she is being very obedient for her foster mom





And giving her a big smile






She is a three year old Golden Retriever rescue. She is very petite and soooo super sweet, friendly and eager to please. We are so excited. Our kids are delirious. They had no idea until we drove up to her foster home that we were even considering getting a dog. I will have to post the video of us breaking the news. It's quite hilarious.

We let the kids name her. They decided on "Shemly" :D Wait, it's not as random as it appears. Several years ago, we went to South Africa where they met my parent's dogs Shem and Emily. (Both of those dogs arrived in our home when I was a teenager, so I considered them my dogs, too. They remembered me after an eight year absence! We all adored them.)

Shem was a Golden Retriever who recently passed on to the happy hunting ground. Emily is still alive, she is a miniature long haired dachshund. The kids adopted them both into their hearts when they met them, and have referred to them both as "their dogs " ever since(even though they live on the other side of the world). When Shem died we were all very, very sad and I decided that I could no longer go on without a family dog. I grew up with dogs, all of them completely wonderful, and I didn't want my kids to get any older without that sweet relationship. There's nothing like it.



Anyway...We all decided that she somewhat resembled a combination of our long distance doggies, Shem and Emily. Hence...Shemly. What do you think?



The kids have spent the day pinching themselves and asking us if it is a dream. The boys already bought her two tennis balls (her foster mom says she loves them). One in red and pink "for Valentines day" and one in pink and green "because it matches our kitchen". :D

PS: Fifteen years ago, today, Aaron asked me to marry him. My reply as he presented me with the ring? "No! Throw it in the snow!". I'm glad he didn't.

I'm reading: Guess who is coming to (Valentine's)dinner?Tweet this!

20 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful and will make a wonderful addition to your family.

Jessica said...

Yayyyyyyyyyy!!! Oh I love her....and I think her name is so very perfect.
Congratulations!!

Jules said...

Congratulations! Have fun making memories with her. <3

Lisa said...

She's beautiful!! Congrats on your new addition:)

Unknown said...

Um, don't you have to ok it with the neighbors first? Hello!!!!

Lisa said...

A good dog is like another member of the family.

You said "No"?

Paula said...

what a precious Vday gift!! She's beautiful!

MrsM said...

How adorable! I can't believe you told your husband no-why'd you do it? What made you change your mind?

Stacy's Snippets said...

Love Love LOVE that you are adopting her through a foster. As a foster dog mama myself I know how worthwhile it is. A rescue pet is the best ever!

I'm sooooo behind on your blog...trying to get caught up!

Anonymous said...

She is perfect! A total combo of two of the best dogs that have ever lived! I approve the name and the little girl! She will become that 5th child that you wondered about having!
Marmie.

KK said...

She's gorgeous! Glad he didn't listen to you!!

Cyndy Bush said...

Congrats on rescuing, and adding a wonderful new member to your family! Goldens are my number one favorite breed.

Charlene said...

Happy engagement anniversary! And... good luck with the new family member! :-)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful dog! She look like she will be great with kids.

Thalia Randall said...

She is lovely!!!!!!! :)

lovemylevi said...

Cant wait to see the video!
Following you from the Friday Follow link-up! Hope to see you at http://luvsjurn3.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh Sayer family, Shemly is beautiful and I love her name! She looks so sweet and happy. WTG for rescuing this pretty girl! Enjoy her and Happy Valentines day to you all!

Brenda

chiara said...

Yay! I, also, can't imagine not having a dog. We had only one for a year and a half and it was too quiet so I harassed my husband until he agreed to #2.

I hope she acclimates well with you guys. Goldens are great. :o)

Dahling said...

I am really happy for the kids. Shemly is beautiful and you know how I feel about dogs. I also think the name is very appropriate - she IS a great combination of Shem and Em.

However I coudn't stop crying when I read this because (a) it means that you are never coming to Australia and (b) Why didn't you tell me ??? Why did you leave me to find out via Facebook ??

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Amazing! Looks like you have 4 kids, too! I do as well, 1 girl; 3 boys. From your pic, looks like you have the same... What are their ages?

God Bless you on adding another family member. What a great story. I participate in another Friday follow. Have to check out yours!