Friday Follow

It’s Friday! Hooray!

Not sure why I’m so stoked about that when I consider the weekend that lies ahead (much in the way of sitting in the cold on the sidelines and rushing from recital to game, rinse and repeat.) But still…Friday. There’s something mystical about the thrill it holds.

Not least of which is Friday Follow. I’ve missed you so! Ditched it last week, back in full strength today. One lucky follower who comments below will be receiving a pretty little something (chosen especially for them) in the mail. Good mail? Irresistible.

Friday Follow

So! On my mind today is clinging to the past at the expense of the present. I’ve been on a mission this week to dispense of all the under-used toys in the playroom. After lamenting pitifully to my husband and informing him that he had the most deprived wife in all the world (when it came to clothing storage space) he informed me that he would happily relocate his clothing to the playroom closet. Upon inspection, we realized that this closet has been woefully underutilized. Filled with crap toys that nobody knew existed. This closet, this large and spacious closet. This mirage in the barren wasteland of strewn toys and limited storage space.

After years of literally dreaming that I had discovered a new closet behind a secret door in my house, my dream had come true. And so began the somewhat traumatic experience of purging the toys which were good toys, toys in nice condition, toys that cost good money, toys that had memories attached to them, or toys that had hopes and dreams and ideals attached to them (like, you know...the children actually playing with them the way the kids in the commercials did.)

All toys that nobody was playing with anymore or hardly playing with.. It’s traumatic at times. I'm not going to lie But when I detach and think about it, I am absolutely stunned that I have allowed my sentimental hang-ups to steal space and peace from my current life. People. Let me reiterate. There is NO SPACE TO SPARE IN THIS HOME. It is small, it is cute and miniature. It was built in an era when people were smaller and had less stuff. (Sounds like a good era to me). It is inhabited by 6 people who have more stuff then they need.

Rather ridiculous isn't it, considering all the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the fact that all my clothing and my husband’s clothing must fit into a Victorian sized closet along with a dresser?

All the shrieking guilt trips and rage over the state of the playroom. Which was Always. A. Mess.

All the hours spent cleaning the playroom and then begging/pleading/threatening about it staying that way.

Why? WHhhhhhhhy? It’s nuts. It’s crazy. It has to stop. Why do we spend the precious hours of our lives rearranging/freaking out over/dusting our mostly useless stuff? I know I am not alone in this. In fact my kids have far (FAAAAAAR) less stuff then most kids I know. We have less stuff then most families I know. And yet. So much more then we should.

I have to say, the tossing is liberating. I’m not going to say it’s not a bit panic inducing (I’m throwing away my children’s childhoods after all. Right? It does feel like that at times. But then I remind myself that I'm saving their childhood. I'm giving them space to play with the few toys they actually do play with, I'm saving them time cleaning up the playroom, I'm giving them a sane mother. Seems like a pretty awesome trade-off to me. No?

And I am not going to lie- I am going to be absolutely blissed out when I move my clothes over into my husband's newly vacated section. I can only imagine the wonders that will be revealed when I can spread my clothes more then 1/8th of an inch apart. I may discover a whole forgotten wardrobe.. I'm giddy over possibilities. Totally worth ditching the Diego train set that he played with so cutely for 15 minutes when he was three...(sniff)...maybe...

PS: If you need help gaining the courage to toss and simplify check out this chick. She is amazing and a little extreme and she makes sense.

I'm reading: Friday FollowTweet this!

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

Follow you through Follow Friday! You can follow me back at http://beyondmeasuring.blogspot.com

I love, love, love your humor! I'm so sentimental about all my kids' stuff too!

Anonymous said...

Visiting and following from Friday Follow. Welcome back to our little party. Wishing you a grand weekend and happy escapes!

~ Lynn
http://www.middayescapades.com

Miranda said...

My first son just turned ONE and I'm already feeling the panic of cleaning up and getting rid of his toys. He's barely played with them and I see no signs that he WILL play with them. But something about throwing them away or donating them or yard-saling them makes me feel so sad because of my own childhood and how often we moved and "lost" things in our various moves. ::sigh:: We can't be sentimental forever, can we?

Ashley said...

Happy Friday Follow :) http://mommyandchild.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh my word you are weird and extreme! Way to go!

Amber said...

I just did this with my clothes and shoes. I got rid of a lot. It does feel liberating - no more having to look at all the shoes I don't wear and feeling bad about complaining I have no shoes to wear. Now I really don't! Ha ha!

sweetsue said...

I have that same closet dream. I am always finding secret rooms and closets in my house, only they are always filled with vintage treasures-birdcages, dress dummies, and the like.

Unknown said...

follow you from follow friday!! I would love if you could come follow my blog!
mylittlestgravesies.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful weekend!

Carries Rambles said...

Following from the Friday Follow.

and I just moved into the house my grandparents built. Do you have any idea how much sentimental stuff there is to be dealt with? My husband tries to toss something and I'm all, NO! BUT! and the sad part is, my mother is worse! So we have to get rid of stuff and not tell her we did!
http://carriesrambles-carrie.blogspot.com

Robyn Jones said...

I have been doing the purging thing too...We also have a small house, and moveed here from a bigger house..that's when I discovered we had too much. Too many clothes, too many nic nacs, videos, dvds, toys....I couldn't believe all the stuff we had been storing for years that we haven't been using..Following you from Friday Follow!! Have a great weekend...

The Baby Store Plus said...

I love your blog name & tag line...so very true!

Found your blog on Follow Friday, I'm #81 on the list. I'm now your newest follower. Hope you can visit my blog and become a follower too!

And feel free to enter our ERGObaby Infant Carrier Giveaway!
http://thebabystoreplus.blogspot.com/2010/04/win-ergobaby-infant-carrier-then-get.html

Anna

EllieB said...

Happy Friday Follow! Have a great weekend.

Ellie B.
http://talesofasweeper.com

Krissy @ ArtsyMom said...

I've been following you for a while now, but I'm visiting from Friday Follow anyway! lol

http://theartsymom.tk

extreme personal measures said...

Following and visiting you from Friday Follow! Hope you visit us back and return the favor! Thank you!


Stop by and enter a giveaway for Rachael Ray Bakeware:
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/04/do-you-know-about-family-of-csn-stores.html

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh my good heavens. MAMA. You speak to my soul.

We're moving in 37 days. (THIRTY. SEVEN. DAYS.) I have DREAMS, and VISIONS of a blissfully zen and simple home on the other side of this move. We have way too many toys.....and yet. I have way too many kitchen gadgets and mono-tasking little doohickeys from my wedding reception....and yet. AND YET. It's so hard!

Rock on, Mama!

Adventures in Momville said...

Hello from adventuresinmomville.com and Friday Follow! Loving your blog and looking forward to following!